Chapter 14 - Madison

I roll over in bed for the hundredth time. I can't seem to turn my brain off. I lay on my back, the hard mattress digging in. I sigh. The bed at Maxon's was so soft and comfortable like a big, puffy cloud. I glance over at Vanessa who's sleeping peacefully. I feel horrible for making her leave Luke and Maxon behind. It's her brother and friend after all.

After Maxon left the room I instantly started packing. That's when V walked in. I gave her a brief explanation of what I was doing and why I was doing it. She immediately agreed to come with. I insisted she stay back but she refused.

"We were supposed to originally stay at a hotel so yeah, I understand that you may not feel comfortable here," She had said and it actually helped ease my guilty conscience a bit.

Now here we are, away from that place. Me trying and failing miserably to think about him. Why does it bother me that he's been with other women? It's not like I expected him to be innocent or anything. You can clearly tell he isn't. Is it because of the way he looked at me? Cared for me? Treated me?

Do my issues run so deep that any male who has a sort of potential to be different, I fall for immediately? Fuck.

I throw the covers off me and quietly head to the window since it's clear I'm not falling asleep anytime soon. I move the curtain slightly to the side and look out at the bustling city. There are cars everywhere at all times honking and beeping at each other. My gaze roves over Central Park. We got a perfect view of it from up here. I let out a soft sigh. What was I thinking? The better question is: Why would I even think that Maxon actually cared for me? I don't even know him.

He's being nice, friendly, considerate.

Because you're Vanessa's friend, that little voice of reason says inside my head, It's something you're not used to from men but don't mistake it for something more.

I shake my head. I can't let his actions toward me allow me to forget what those blondes said. He hasn't been in a relationship with anyone in a while. He's only been sleeping around. With blondes, specifically, which is far besides the point but I'm not one. And if I had any doubts about his preferences, I exited only to see him with those same two.

That's why I thought he would've spent the night with them for sure only for him to tell me that he took care of me. That he would rather hang out with me?

I lay a hand on the window, angry that I even care so damn much.

God, get it together, Madison. Sure, the guy is hot but you just met him. Look what happened with Bryan? Major douche alert.

The thing I'm getting is, that Maxon isn't a douche. So what the hell does he want from me? He should just leave me alone. Not help me, not volunteer to help me, and not do anything when it comes to me.

I let out a frustrated sigh. Ugh.
I thump down my head on the windowsill so annoyed with my racing thoughts. God, can't you just grant me some sleep?

They say sometimes you're awake at night because God wants to have a word with you but this has me thinking, am I actually more desperate for love than I thought and am therefore making out Maxon to be someone he's not? Am I looking too much into it?

I hate to admit it but who likes confronting the truth?

Maxon's...confusing me is what's he doing. He's playing with my emotions and I hate it. Stupid hot man. Probably having the best deep sleep of his life while I'm up all night thinking of him and his stupid, thoughtful gestures.

With a harrumph of anger, I stalk back to my bed and plop down and end up hurting my shoulder at the stiffness of the bed. I bare my teeth and drape the covers over my head.