•Chapter 2

June 10th , 1536, Westminster palace

When the carriage entered the courtyard of the palace I looked around in amazement, Westminster Palace looked different from the palace in Rome.  It was grayer, tighter, and colorless.

Charles helped me out of the coach and escorted me into the palace.  I was stared at by several people in the hallways.  Some looked curious, others critical, and others whispered to each other.

Charles opened the door of a bedroom "These are your bedrooms, if there is anything you would like to have changed you must tell the maids and they will take care of it".

I walked into the room and looked around curiously.  My quarters were divided into two rooms.  My audience room and my bedroom.  the rooms had light brown wooden walls decorated with paintings and tapestries.

The bedroom consisted of a large wooden bed with engraved figures and red embroidered bed linen.

There were large fireplaces in both rooms and the candles were already lit.

"It is very beautiful. Would you thank the king for me your grace?", "yes my lady, I will leave you now so that you can settle in your chambers. The king has a feast for you in the evening  Good day my lady" Charles bowed and walked out of the room

Giulia came and stood next to me "it will take ages to furnish this room to your taste" she said disapprovingly.  I teasingly pushed her into her side "oh stop it, you sound like Madonna Florence."

Giulia looked at me fake insulted "how dare you compare me to that witch, I'm much better than her".  "Yeah sure" I turned to the other ladies in waiting "shall we unpack then?"

~

When all the boxes were unpacked, my ladies-in-waiting helped me in a burgundy red Italian-style dress. my long brown hair hung in loose curls over my shoulders and was held back from my face by a simple crown of rubies.

"You look beautiful" Clarice said in amazement as she did her dress neatly, "thank you, without your help it wouldn't have been possible" I looked at them gratefully one by one.

There was a brief knock at the door as the Duke walked into the room. He bowed "My Lady, I've come to escort you to the throne room." I nodded and grabbed his arm as we walked out of the room.

In the corridors I was again curiously looked at by the people we passed, but I ignored them again.

We stopped in front of a large closed door.  I took a deep breath before we were announced. "Make way for the Lady Lucrezia and his grace the Duke of Suffolk!"

I walked into the crowded throne room.  Here and there people bowed but most remained standing. I didn't look at them, instead I looked straight ahead at the king.

The king had dark reddish and a serious look. I felt slightly intimidated by the inquiring look he gave me.

When we stopped in front of the king, I let go of Charles's arm and made a deep curtsy. "Your gracious majesty," I said, remaining in my curtsy.  The king walked over to me and took my hand "Please get up, my lady Lucrezia".

I stood up gracefully and smiled "thank you, Your Majesty" I whispered. I walked with him to the small platform where his throne stood.  Next to his throne was a simpler chair, much like a throne, but smaller.

"May I introduce you to Lucrezia De'Medici, the next queen of England!"  The king said.