•Chapter 37

December 25th,1537, Hampton Court,

When I returned to the throne room with Giulia by my side I saw Henry was talking, you guessed it, Cromwell.

They seemed to be in serious conversation as Henry's expression looked serious.

"Is everything all right?" I asked as I sat back on my throne. Cromwell bowed but said nothing more.

"Henry?" I asked again, he turned to me. "I told you that Cromwell's son will marry one of the Seymour daughters tomorrow, didn't I?"

I nodded. "Now the Seymours are at court with Edward. They demand an audience." He looked annoyed.

I looked at him with amusement. "They demand an audience? Well then give them their audience and hear what they have to say to you."

Henry nodded slowly and stood up. "Come on Lucrezia." He said. We walked together from the throne room to his private quarters.

Henry sat down on the big oak chair and I stood next to him.

The door opened. "The Seymour family, Your Majesty." The footman announced.

Sir Seymour walked in followed by the two eldest sons Edward and Thomas and the two daughters Elizabeth and Jane holding her son Edward in her arms.

Sir Edward bowed "Majesties." He said

"Seymour, I heard you were making a big fuss about an audience. It's such a beautiful holiday."

"I'm sorry Your Majesty, but it was very urgent that I had to speak to you. You are ignoring all my letters and my daughter's and you have not seen or even asked for my grandson Edward in months."

Henry sighed. "I am the King of England, I have far more important things to do than read letters from unimportant persons. Edward will receive the best care he could wish for by the nannies the Queen has sent you, if you choose to keep him away. Unfortunately I can't help you." he said slightly annoyed.

I smiled at his last sentence but I saw Jane look angry.

"Your Majesty, though he may have a hundred nannies, it is not the same as his own father. You once promised me to take care of our son, that said after
you promised me to marry me. Look at me now; I am known as the woman who let herself be betrayed by the king, I will never have a good marriage again. You didn't even name Edward as your own son. Your son with Bessie Blount called you fitzroy but my Edward is over half a year old and still has no name." Jane whimpered.

I saw Henry wanted to say something back but I placed my hand on his shoulder. "Your Majesty, since Jane wants you to take care of their son, why not raise him at court. He will be able to share the nursery with our prince and the baby."

Henry looked at me surprised but I kept smiling. "And then you can immediately marry Jane to one of the courtiers. Doesn't that sound like a good idea to you?"

"I think that's a great idea. That's settled then. Sir Edward your grandson will stay here after your daughter Elizabeth's wedding and I'll arrange a wedding for Jane too. The Queen will see to it that Edward is raised. You may go ." Henry smiled but I could hear the compulsion in his voice.

Sir Edward bowed again, He had an angry expression on his face, and left the room with his children.

Henry turned to me. "Why did you offer to keep Edward here?"

I smiled. "Even though I hate his mother and his family, he's still a part of you and that means I have to treat him right."

Henry took my hand and kissed it. "You are an amazing ."

I smiled. "I know that. Do you have someone in mind as a husband for Jane?"

Henry thought for a moment. "Sir John Gates, he's a soldier and I like him." I nodded "John Gates it is then."

John Gates would be perfect. He wasn't too powerful, in fact he didn't even have a noble title, he was old and not very rich.

Jane would certainly suffer from her marriage, just as I wished, and her son would remain here at court.

As Henry just said I would be responsible for his upbringing which also meant I could control who he saw and who he didn't see. I intended to use that power to separate Jane from her son forever.

And I knew how horrible that sounded, but she deserved it. Edward should never have been born and the fact that he existed was already a danger to my own son.

In Italy it often happened that the bastard was given the title destined for the conjugal child, I didn't know if it was possible in England but I couldn't take the risk.

Anyway, my son should become king and I will make sure that no one, but no one, can take his birthright from him.

Only in this way could I fulfill my promise to the Holy Father.