•Chapter 34

December 24th, 1537, Hampton Court

Henry and his sister chatted and I was uncomfortable. Margaret didn't seem to want to give me a look, for she ignored me completely.

But I wouldn't give up here. Anyway, she was Henry's sister and I had to get on a good relationship with her.

"Well ladies, I have to get back to work. I'll see you again tonight at dinner." Henry said, he arose from his throne and walked out of the throne room with his retinue, leaving me, Margaret and her daughter Margaret.

I turned to Margaret. "Shall we go to my rooms then we can get to know each other over wine, your daughter is of course also welcome." I said kindly.

Margaret smiled briefly. "I'm tired of the journey and would rather retire." She got up without even looking at me and walked out of the throne room.

I was left with Margaret Douglas. "I'd like to join you." She said

~

When Margaret and I arrived in my room I took a seat on one of the chairs."Sit Margaret." I gestured to the chair opposite me.

She nodded and took a seat.

"Please call me Maggie, Margaret is my mother's title." She said smiling, I smiled back. "Very well then Maggie. I hope you enjoy being back at court. I've heard many good things about you."

"I too have heard a lot about you. Mostly that you are raising my cousin Elizabeth even though the king refuses to recognize the child as his for now because of the Boleyn woman's business."

I poured wine for both of us

"Anne's crimes have nothing to do with Elizabeth. She is an innocent child who no longer a mother, of course I will play the part as a mother to her. Not only because I already have a child of my own, but also because she deserves a mother who protects and educates her."

Maggie nodded in agreement. "That's true. By the way, how is my cousin, your son? My brother was stunned to find out that you named him after him."

I smiled at the thought of James. "The Prince is all right, he is six months old and can crawl quite a bit and sit up well."

Maggie sighed, "I think it's great to be a mom. You are only three years younger than I am and two years younger than my cousin Mary is, yet you managed to get married when you turned eighteen. I have to admit I'm jealous."

"I married because of an alliance that my uncle, the Holy Father, wanted to form with England. I would much rather have been married for love rather than for duty, although I must admit I don't mind it as much now as I did then. I am now the mother of a prince and will give birth to another baby in 5 months, I am a queen and well respected so I have nothing to complain about." I said, I put my hand on Maggie's. "You'll be married soon, I'm sure. Be patient, patience is a virtue."

She smiled gratefully. "Where's my cousin Mary anyway? I had hoped to see her again. The last time I saw her was before..." Maggie paused. "Was before Anne bewitched the king and got Aunt Catherine and Mary expelled from court and separated from each other. That was also the last time Mother and I came to court."

I looked at her puzzled. "Why was that the last time you were at court?"

"My mother loved Queen Catherine as if she was her own sister, so she was furious when my uncle divorced her, and she was furious when she found out it was because of the Boleyn woman. She refused Anne, as did my aunt mary and many others, to recognize her as queen of england and wife of the king. Aunt mary left for westhorpe hall and refused to visit court until her death and mother and i left for her husband's house and I occasionally stayed with my father. It was a terrible time for all of us, especially when Aunt Mary passed away."

I looked at her with pity. "That's terrible. I always thought that only Lady Mary suffered under the circumstances but never thought that you, your aunt and your mother suffered too."

"It was terrible, I can admit. It is only now, at the king's insistence, that Mother wanted to return. But Mother made one thing clear to me; no one, absolutely no one, would take the place of her greatest entrust, Catherine Of Aragon."

I thought, was that the reason Margaret was acting so cool to me? Did she hate me because I wasn't Catherine or because she thought I was just like Anne?

Whatever it was, I had to and will make it clear to her that I was not her enemy but her friend.

~

Later that evening, Henry, Margaret, Maggie, and I dined in Henry's private dining room.

Henry and I sat opposite each other at the head of the table and Margaret and Maggie in the middle, facing each other.

"Have you been able to rest Margaret?" I asked sweetly. Margaret looked at me briefly, without emotion in her eyes. "I was able to rest, yes." She turned to Henry.
"I heard that one of your advisor's son will be married in the palace?" she asked Henry

"That's right. The day after Christmas, Master Cromwell's son, Gregory, will marry the Lady Elizabeth Seymour in the chapel at Hampton Court, I have given them permission to hold the wedding here so that Lucrezia does not have to travel so much and burden her health. After the ceremony there will be a party in the hall." Henry replied.

I looked briefly at Henry. "Will the Seymour family be there too?" I asked, trying to make my voice sound indifferent.

"Of course, it is their daughter and sister who will get married. There's a good chance they'll be there tomorrow to celebrate Christmas." Henry said without looking at me.

I sighed again, "Very well then. And will Sir Edward's grandson be there too?" I looked at him cheekily. I was hoping Jane and her bastard wouldn't be there but knowing her she'll do anything to get Henry's attention even if she had to use her son for it.

Henry sighed this time too. "I do not know. Don't tire yourself out thinking about things that don't matter, think about the baby."

I felt myself turn red. How dare Henry address me like that for his sister and niece. I knew he wanted me to shut up and that's why he brought out our baby.

"But of course Your Majesty." I took a deep breath and continued to eat in silence as Henry, Margaret, and Maggie spoke.

Margaret Tudor = Margaret
Margaret Douglas = Maggie/Lady Douglas