•Chapter 42

August 22nd, 1540, Greenwich Palace

Two weeks passed. Henry still hadn't made up his mind about allying with Spain in those five days. To make matters worse, Cromwell tried to persuade it to ally with a German state, also Protestant.

Lady Mary had spoken to Henry about an alliance with Spain and he had declined her request. Even when he was with me, he avoided the subject and started talking about something else.

But the longer it took him, the more dangerous the situation will be in the future. I had to persuade Henry, but as long as Cromwell was in the game, things would be complicated.

That morning, while I was alone in my bedroom getting ready, Lady Catherine Howard came into my room.

"Your Majesty, the Lady Bryant is here." she announced.

I nodded to let her move on, then got up myself and walked to the audience room.

"Your Majesty." said Lady Bryant with a curtsy. I smiled "Lady Bryant, I hope there's nothing wrong with you suddenly paying me this visit."

"Anything but Your Majesty. I only wanted to ask you about the education of the children, the king referred me to you."

I nodded. It was indeed important that all children receive a good education. The Lady Elizabeth was much older than the boys and was of a different gender and so would be educated differently from the boys anyway.

"Lady Elizabeth will for now be educated in needlework, embroidery, Latin and French, horse riding and will learn the etiquette expected of a royal princess." I said to the Lady Bryant.

She nodded. "And the Princes and Lord Edward?" I thought briefly. "The princes will be educated by me for now until the children are 5 years old, then they will be educated by their tutors." I said

She nodded again "Then I'll arrange everything Your Majesty, I'll take my leave." She said, she made another curtsy and walked out of the room.

I turned to the Lady Howard who was still standing in the corner of the audience room. "Would you get me some flowers to decorate the room with and call Giulia, Bianca and Clarice here if you're on your way."

She nodded and made a curtsy.

When she left the room I hurried to my bedroom where I wrote a short note to my cousin Caterina.

"Lucrezia?" I heard Giulia yell in the audience room. "I'm in the bedroom, come on." I shouted back.

Giulia walked into the room with Bianca and Clarice chasing her.

"Clarice, I have a letter here for my cousin Caterina. Make sure it is sent and out of Cromwell's sight." I said to her as I handed the letter to her. "Go now."

Clarice nodded and hurried out of the room. I turned to Bianca and Giulia.

"We are going to the king." I said before walking ahead of them and leaving the room.

When I arrived at the door of Henry's room, the lackeys did not open the door immediately.

I looked at their questions but they still didn't open the door.

"What are you waiting for? Open the door." I said annoyed. "I'm sorry, majesty, but the king would not receive anyone." said one of the lackeys.

"Do you know who you are talking to here? I am the Queen of England and I demand that you step aside and let me through!" I shouted angrily. I felt a twinge in my stomach but ignored the feeling.

The footman looked straight ahead. "The king will not receive anyone, majesty." he repeated.

I turned around annoyed and walked back to my room.

What did Henry have to hide from me that I wasn't allowed in his room?