•Chapter 9

November 18th, 1536, Hampton Court.

"When are you going to tell the king?" Giulia asked as she combed my hair that night. We were alone in my bedroom, I had sent my other ladies-in-waiting to their rooms early so they could rest.

"I don't know Giulia. The king is happy now because of the Seymour whore's pregnancy. I want him to feel a different kind of joy for my pregnancy." I said "And I want to make sure the child is safe inside me."

Giulia stopped combing my hair and looked at me through the mirror I had in front of me.

"Are you afraid? Afraid that the same thing will happen to you as to your mother," she asked concerned.

I sighed "Yes, yes I'm scared. My mother died while pregnant with my brother, but mother got the plague. I'm sure Henry will do everything he can to keep the court and me safe." I smiled tensely.

Giulia leaned forward and hugged me from behind "God will protect you, and so will I." she whispered.

I took her hand. "I know, I know."

~

The next morning I had breakfast with Henry in my rooms.

"Congratulations Your Majesty." I said as I took a bite. Henry looked at me questioningly, "With Lady Seymour's pregnancy." I said in a polite tone.

He nodded "Thanks."

"It's nice to know that the child in me will be born with a playmate by his side, especially since they will only be one month apart." I added with a smile.

Henry looked at me in surprise now. "What are you talking about? Are you...?". I smiled wider now. "Yes, your majesty, I am pregnant with your child, at last."

Henry got up and walked over to me and took my hand." I'm so happy, Lucrezia. When will we announce it to the court? We must make plans for the feast to announce my son's birth and the foreign princes must know about it too."

"I think we should just keep it between ourselves for now, at least until Christmas." I said, Henry was going too fast and I was afraid he would be disappointed if something happened to the child.

He nodded "that's a good idea" he sat back on his chair." Is there anything I can give you as a thank you?" He asked.

I smiled. "I have but one request and I hope your Majesty could arrange it for me."

"Tell me what your request is."

"I would like to have your daughters, the ladies Mary and Elizabeth at court this Christmas, when we make the news public."

Henry looked thoughtful. "Please." I said pleadingly. "Very well then, I'll invite them for the holidays." He admitted.

"Thank you."