•Chapter 18

June 29th, 1537, Westminster Abbey

The day of James' baptism and my Churching arrived. While Henry and the rest of the court left for the church I would go through my churching with my ladies-in-waiting and when they returned I would show myself again at court after I was blessed and we would celebrate my son's baptism and birth.

I was hoisted into a white dress and got a white veil over my face. The maids held up a white cloth that made sure the pastor couldn't see me and I couldn't see him.

"Almighty, everlasting God, through the delivery of the blessed Virgin Mary, Thou hast turned into joy the pains of the faithful in childbirth; look mercifully upon this Thy handmaid, coming in gladness to Thy temple to offer up her thanks: and grant that after this life, by the merits and intercession of the same blessed Mary, she may merit to arrive, together with her offspring, at the joys of everlasting happiness. Through Christ our Lord." Prayed the pastor.

"Amen." I said, clutching the rosary in my hand. "Amen."

When the pastor had left the room, I was again put into another dress. This time a purple silk dress. Purple signified the color of royalty, I may have been the queen all along, but with the birth of a son, my place as queen was firmly established and that also meant that I will be crowned.

My hair was pinned into a stylish chignon and I put on a purple cap/headband jeweled with pearls.

My ladies-in-waiting wore a beige dress themselves and a hood/headband in the same dress.

"When is the king coming back? I already miss my James." I said to Clarice as she tied a bracelet around my wrist. "It will probably only take a few minutes for the procession to get back to the palace. It won't be long." she replied with a smile.

"If you miss the prince now, I'm sure you'll miss him even more when he leaves for his own castle." said Bianca. I turned to her "as I said the prince is not going anywhere. Never say these words again." I looked at her sternly.

Bianca looked startled and made a curtsy "Yes of course, excuse me.".

I sighed and walked to my audience room where I stood by the window.

I knew it was common for an English prince to have his own household outside the palace, but I wouldn't accept that.

He was my son and my blood and he would stay with me as long as I lived.

Henry had promised me, before my confinement, that I could keep James by my side and raise him. He had promised, and as long as no one changed his mind, it would remain that way.

The door of the room swung open and Mary walked in with James in her arms and Elizabeth beside her.

I immediately walked over to them "Oh my James." I took him from Mary and kissed his forehead "How did it go?" I asked Mary.

"He was very good, such a precious boy." Mary said with a smile. "He cried really hard." said Elizabeth.

"Did he? Well I hope you comforted him, Lady Elizabeth." I looked at her with a smile as I cradled James in my arms.

"Well I tried but I was too far away." She looked away. "I'm glad you tried Elizabeth. You're a good older sister."

The door of the room opened again and Henry came walking into the room and Mary, Elizabeth and my ladies-in-waiting made a curtsy for him.

He greeted me by kissing my cheek and also kissed James' forehead "Lucrezia, it's time."

I nodded and handed James to Giulia so she could give him to his nursemaid. I took Henry's arm and we walked together to the throne room.

"We'll be leaving soon to Greenwich Palace, Lucrezia." He said, "Isn't that a little too soon, James isn't even a month old. If we were to move him from Westminster to Greenwich and again to another palace, I fear for his health." I looked at him but saw that he wasn't looking at me.

"We'll discuss it later. Now we will celebrate the birth of our son."

We walked into the throne room and were greeted by several curses and bows as we walked to our thrones and took our seats.

"We'll have you crowned at westminster abbey before our trip to Greenwich. You'll be the real Queen of England."

I smiled.

It's about time.