•Chapter 49

December 3rd, 1540, Westminster Palace

I walked with Henry and our entourage to the throne room where we would say goodbye to the children and Lady Mary.

We would finally, after weeks of planning, travel to Spain.

I've been excited about the trip since it was to be my first state visit as Queen of England. But I was also sad because I would not see my children for a long time.

Since James returned from Hatfield house when he was a baby he has never been far from me. And then you had Arthur who had been with me since birth.

"Elizabeth, Edward, James, Arthur come here to Lady Mother and let me hug you." I said as I got on my knees and took the children in my arms. "Say goodbye to your father too."

Elizabeth and Edward walked over to Henry and hugged him too. I held James and Arthur a little tighter in my arms. "my wonders of the world. Mama loves you very much and you must promise me to be careful." I said to them.

They nodded and hugged me again before I reluctantly pushed them towards their father and straightened myself. I walked over to the lady mary.

"Promise me to take good care of them. If anything is wrong, write to me." I said as I took her hands in mine. "I promise to take good care of them. Nothing will happen to them, don't worry and enjoy your journey. Give my cousins ​​my regards." Mary said smiling as she squeezed my hands gently.

Henry walked up to us. "Is the Queen giving you a hard time, Mary?" he asked with a laugh. Mary smiled "anything but, she's just worried."

Henry kissed her forehead and turned to me. "We really need to go now before the waters get too strong." He held his arm for me.

I nodded and hugged the kids again before walking out of the room with Henry.

~

When we finally arrived at the harbor after an hour of travel and got on the boat, we left for a trip that would take a whole day to Spain.

I took a seat on the plush seat in my cabin and looked out to the small window at the sea. My ladies-in-waiting were clearing things up here and there in the room.

Henry was now in his own cabin, probably preparing for the meeting.

I thought of James and Arthur. What were they doing now? Did they eat well at this point? Did they miss me as much as I missed them.

I sighed and started the embroidery I had started in the carriage. It was one of James and Arthur's doubles, since they were almost the same height they could wear the same clothes. I embroidered the doublet with the Tudor rose.

"This journey will last forever." I heard Clarice complain.

Clarice was right, the journey to Spain would be long, but it was worth it for the future of England and that of my sons.