•Chapter 48

November 12th, 1540, Westminster Palace

The court had traveled to Westminster Palace from Greenwich Palace.

Cromwell's execution had been painful. The executioner had hit his neck several times without killing him. It had been a bloodbath, Sir Francis Bryan had told me.

I was glad that this was all over and that we could now focus on the Spanish alliance.
~

"I will travel to Spain where we will again be formally introduced and the papers signed. During my stay there we will immediately discuss the plans for our invasion of France. In total I will be gone for a week." Henry then said who was in his rooms that night.

I sat on the edge of the bed braiding my hair and Henry lay in the bed.

"That's great, when are we leaving?" I asked as I looked at him with a smile. "We? Lucrezia you cannot travel in your condition, let alone all the way to Spain."

"What!? Why not?" I cried in surprise. "Like I said, because you're pregnant."

"I'm only 7 months pregnant and won't be giving birth until January, which means I can travel, especially if the visit to Spain is only for a week. Please take me with you, it was basically my idea to form a Spanish alliance so I'm supposed to be there and I'm James mother." I said almost pleadingly.

"And who will take care of the children when we go to Spain together?" He asked.

"The Lady Mary."

Henry thought. "Very good, but if you feel anything in your stomach, stay here." he said sternly. "But of course, so like I asked, when do we leave for Spain?"

Henry laughed. "On November 20th and we will stay until the beginning of December."

I smiled and climbed into the bed and snuggled up against Henry. Henry put his arm around me and I leaned against his chest.

"I can't wait to get to Spain. It will probably be a bit like Italy." I said dreamily. "And Empress Isabella, I've heard so much about her. She is regent of Spain when the Emperor travels to the Holy Roman Empire while she is a mother. She is beautiful and intelligent and kind. She is everything I want to be in a husband and wife."

"You are like her in many aspects. You are just as beautiful, if not more beautiful, than her and just as intelligent and kind. You are a wonderful mother and will soon be Regent of England." said Henry. I looked up at him. "Me, regent?" I asked surprised.

"Yes. Who else do you think will rule the country when I go to France. In that time the baby has already been born and you have recovered from the birth. Of course you will not be alone, many of my advisers will probably remain in England." He said.

"That is a real responsibility. It means a lot to me that you trust me so much."

"You deserve it, you gave me two sons and you continue to bless me with your support and love."

I smiled at his words and closed my eyes.