•Chapter 23

July 13th, 1537, Westminster Palace.

I stood with Henry in the courtyard of Westminster Palace. It was now three days after my coronation and we were about to begin our journey.

As happy as I was to travel across the country, I was still saddened by the fact that James was leaving for his own home.

So I had spent the last three days trying to spend as much time with him as possible in the hope of making our separation less painful.

Something that didn't work because I was now standing with tears in my eyes as the carriage in which James drove away with Lady Bryan and his nursemaids towards Hatfield.

"Everything will be fine Lucrezia." Henry tried to comfort me. I had hidden my face in the thick fabric of his outer garments.

I nodded quietly and wiped my tears from my cheeks. "We should go too, shouldn't we?" I walked over to the white horse that had been set up for me.

I had chosen to go to Burbage on horseback so that I could enjoy the view more and the warm sun burning on my skin.

~

After we all got on our horses and headed west, my tears had stopped flowing, instead of smiling and waving at the people we saw along the way.

Henry who rode next to me occasionally tossed a coin at the children who ran after us and I had already received dozens of flowers.

"The people are really great. So much love they have for their king." I said admiringly to Henry. "They seem to love you more than they loved Anne." Henry noted, he had a tight smile on his face and I felt uncomfortable.

It was that Cromwell came riding between us and interrupted the conversation with his own conversation. He nearly pushed my horse back and I was left between the king and Cromwell and the court, with no one beside me.

I looked annoyed at Cromwell's back and swore at him under his breath.

"Majesty." Charles Brandon said as he came running next to me. "Your grace." I greeted him with a smile.

"I see Cromwell pushed you away." Charles said as we both looked at the King and Cromwell. "Don't worry, he often climbs the king's bottom for a little favor."

I giggled. "So you also agree that Cromwell has too much power and influence over the king?" I asked softly. "I do agree. Cromwell is not well liked with the council."

"Can I trust you Charles?" I asked, I looked into his eyes. "Of course."

"If there was a way to get rid of Cromwell, I would have done it. It is his fault that my son was taken from me and he threatened me. He is of the devil and deserves nothing but death." I said softly with an angry look.

Charles looked around and then began to speak. "It won't be long before Cromwell will be his own downfall, all we have to do is be patient and wait and stay in the king's good charms."

I nodded and then smiled.

I wasn't the only one who wanted to get rid of him and apparently had an ally in this matter.