•Chapter 25

July 13th, 1537, Burbage.

After resting and changing, Henry and I left for the Seymour family garden where we would eat.

They had placed in the garden a long table covered by a tent-like case. The smell of the different meat dishes penetrated my nose.

Henry and I took a seat in the center of the table, and around us were seated the relatives of the Seymour family and the retinue we had brought with us. My own ladies-in-waiting had been allocated a separate table a little further from us.

Lord Seymour rose and raised his glass "It is with an honor that we can welcome the King to our table today, and of course the Queen too." He smiled at both of us and Henry returned a smile "Let's eat."

Lord Seymour took his seat next to Henry, and the servants carried the large trays of meat and vegetables to the tables.

Everyone seemed engrossed in conversation: Henry with Jane Seymour and Cromwell with Lord Seymour. Nobody seemed to be interested in me and I sat alone in silence.

I felt like a complete outsider. I may be the Queen of England, but these people didn't seem to care.

I gestured to a servant who was walking by. "Bring this tray of food to my ladies-in-waiting." I said with a smile. The servant nodded and brought the tray to my ladies-in-waiting, I saw that they smiled gratefully at me.

"Play some music!" Henry shouted, laughing. The ready musicians began to spell out a song and Henry walked with Jane to the empty field where they began to dance intimately.

The whispering started immediately and some looked at me and then back at the king, whispering different things to each other.

I tried to ignore it and kept looking at my plate of food.

I tried to think of something else so I wouldn't have to see this.

I thought of James who was far from me right now. I didn't know who he was with now, how he was doing and couldn't see his smile anymore.

I missed him terribly.

I felt tears prick my eyes and bit my lip.

I got up from the table and walked back into the manor. Nobody seemed to have noticed me because the party went on in all joy.

I walked through the quiet hallways to our bedroom and sat on the edge of the bed, letting my tears flow.

When the door of the room opened I didn't bother to wipe my tears because I knew they were my ladies-in-waiting.

"Lucrezia, what is it?" Giulia asked startled as she hurried over to me and put her arms around me. Clarice and Bianca gathered around us.

"I miss James so much Giulia. It hurts me to be far from him, my little boy." I sobbed. "And then also the king who puts me to shame in front of everyone by being seduced by that whore of a Jane."

Giulia remained silent but continued to hug me.

"Get me ready for the night please." I said. They nodded quietly and helped me out of my dress and brushed my hair.

When they were done I got into the bed and put the thick blankets over myself. Clarice blew out all the candles and stood by the bed with the rest of the ladies-in-waiting. I gave them permission to retire to their own rooms.

I wondered if the king would sleep in my bed or in Jane's.

It didn't bother me much, but I did care that he made a fool of me.

I didn't want to stay in this house for a second.