•Chapter 14

May 11th, 1537, Westminster Palace

3 months passed and we left for Westminster Palace where we would stay until I had given birth. I was already in my seventh month of my pregnancy and was due to enter my confinement the following month.

Jane Seymour had left a few weeks ago for her family home in Burbage, far enough from London. But no matter how far she was, as long as she carried the child inside, I would never get what I wanted.

And to be honest, I didn't even know what I wanted. I wanted to fulfill my duty to my uncle, I wanted to be Queen of England but I also wanted a happy marriage.

I knew love in a marriage would come later but how could my marriage be fulfilled if it was a relationship between three people.

I was a queen without really being a queen, I was a wife without being a true wife, The only thing that was certain is that I would become a mother to a prince or princess but even the sex of the baby wasn't sure.

I sighed which made my ladies-in-waiting look up from their work.

"Is everything okay? is it the baby?" Giulia asked concerned. I smiled reassuringly at her. "No it isn't, don't worry, I was just thinking about all this, my marriage and the fact that I wasn't a real queen."

Giulia looked at me with pity. "When you have your son you will be crowned queen." "And what if I don't have a son? Shall I be beheaded too?" I said shrilly as I bounced off the chair I was sitting on, I felt myself panicking.

"They will not behead you, for then all Christianity will declare war on England." Bianca said, joining in the conversation.

I felt myself calm down again. "That's true, I'm the Pope's niece and I have allies. My cousin is in France, she is the Dauphine, they would support me." I place my hand on my stomach.

"We should go for a walk." I said suddenly

~

When we arrived in the gardens it turned out to be completely empty. That made sense, it was quite cool and early in the morning.

"Lucrezia!" Someone yelled from behind me, I turned and saw Henry approaching with his entourage.

My ladies-in-waiting made a deep curtsy when the king came to us and took my hand. "Is it useful that you walk around so much with your condition?" he asked me as we walked on.

"This is the only way I can calm down. I am in the penultimate month of my pregnancy and it is getting harder for me." I answered him. He nodded with a smile.

A footman ran up to us and bowed before handing a letter to Henry.

Henry briefly looked at who sent the letter and when he read the name Henry released my hand and tore the letter open. He read the letter quickly and a wide smile appeared on his face.

"I have a son." He said softly "I have a son!" He shouted louder now he threw the letter on the floor "A son!"

I felt myself go white and turned in panic to Clarice who had come out more with me. She also had a startled expression on her face.

Henry turned to me. "I'm leaving for Burbage I'm not sure I'll be back tonight so dinner but without me." He walked away with his retinue without giving me another look.

~

When I got back to my room, I dropped to my bed, defeated. I had lost for now.

I placed my hand on my stomach and immediately felt a kick.

My future now depended on this baby inside me.