•Chapter 50

December 4th, 1540, Kingdom Of Spain

"My Lady, wake up we have almost arrived in Gijón." Bianca whispered as she gently shook me from side to side. I opened my eyes and was blinded by the sun shining through the cabin window.

It was already the next morning which meant we were almost or already in Spain.

I sat up with difficulty. I was gasping for breath when I got a short cramp in my stomach. The pain went away as quickly as it came, as if it never happened.

"What is it?" Giulia asked immediately alarmed. "Nothing, I suddenly got a cramp but it's all right." I said to reassure her.

I got out of bed and walked over to the coffin. "I would like to wear the gray dress with white ribbon and my silver necklace with the cross on it." I said.

Giulia nodded and walked to the door where she called for the rest of my ladies-in-waiting. Clarice and Bianca walked into the room and helped me freshen up and put on my dress.

When they were done breakfast was brought and I of that.

It didn't take long before we arrived at the Spanish coast. When I got off the boat with the help of my ladies-in-waiting, and finally felt solid ground after hours of sailing, Henry was already waiting next to the carriage.

I hadn't seen him since the night before.

"My queen." He greeted me as he kissed me. "You look beautiful."

"I'm glad you think so.I want the Emperor and Empress to be impressed by me." I said smiling.

Henry had to laugh too and then helped me into the carriage after which he got in himself.

The drive from Gijón to Toledo took about five hours in total.

We arrived in the early afternoon at the Royal Palace where we were met by dozens of servants.

"There we are then." Henry said as he got out of the carriage and helped me out. He looked around.

"It's beautiful here." I said as I also looked around admiringly. "It reminds me of home."

Henry looked at me questioningly. "Home?". I smiled "Italy, Florence and Rome."

Henry took my hand. "England is your home now, Lucrezia. You are Queen of England, the mother of my children and my wife." He said with a clamp.

I smiled again. "I know Henry. Shall we go in?" Asking to change the subject, I gestured with my eyes to the group of servants lined up by the large door.

A man stepped forward and bowed deeply. "Your majesties. Welcome to the Alcázar, it is our great honor to receive you." he said in a heavy Spanish accent. "If you would follow me, I'll take you to the Emperor."

Henry nodded at him and we followed him into the grand palace.

When we arrived at the throne room, the Emperor and Empress were already standing before their thrones.

The Emperor Charles, still as handsome as I could remember, walked straight up to us. His wife, Empress Isabella, remained in place with a warm smile.

"Henry! Welcome to Spain." Charles said as he hugged Henry and clapped on his back.

"Charles, nice to see you again." Henry said with a hesitation in his voice, which I understood.

Henry had put his aunt Catherine through a lot and so had Mary. If I had stood in Charles's place I would have given him an icy greeting, but it turned out that Charles was either leaving the past behind or hiding his hatred for Henry.

Charles broke free from the embrace and turned to me. "This must be your beautiful wife. It is my honor to see you again, Lucrezia De'Medici. It's a long time ago."

I gave him a warm smile. "It's an honor for me too. It's been a long time indeed, a lot has changed as you can see."

Henry looked at us in surprise. "You know each other?" He asked.

"Yes my love. He came to the rescue of my uncle, the Holy Father, when the Medici's lost control of Florence and my cousin Catarina and I were in danger. When peace had returned, we had the opportunity to meet in Rome." I answered, I smiled again at Charles. "It's been over ten years now, but I'm still grateful for what you've done for us."

Charles smiled back, then held out his hand to the Empress. "May I introduce you to my wife, Isabella."

The Empress also walked up to us and gave us a warm smile. "Welcome." she simply said.

It was true what they said. Isabella was truly beautiful. She had beautiful long brown-blond hair and light eyes. She had on a dress made of brown velvet that gave her a warm glow and had adorned her hands with dozens of rings.

She was already forty years old but didn't look a day older than thirty.

"I offer that we will immediately start with the matters to be settled regarding our children's marriage and our alliance and that our wives will get to know each other." Charles said, Henry nodded "that seems like a good idea."

Henry took my hand and kissed it before leaving the throne room with Charles, leaving Isabella and me alone.

"Shall we go to my sitting rooms?" Offered Empress Isabella. I nodded and followed her to her sitting rooms.

After a long time another update, unfortunately I was in a writing block and it took literally weeks to write this chapter but now hope to write a few chapters.