•Chapter 8

November 18th, 1536, Hampton Court.

8 weeks passed and the king and I grew closer and closer. We now spent nearly every day together and Henry hardly spent any more time with Jane Seymour, much to my delight.

I spat into the bowl placed next to my bed and wiped my mouth with my handkerchief. I had been vomiting for several days and had a poor appetite.

Deep down I hoped to be pregnant but I didn't dare to believe it. I knew that if it turned out that I wasn't pregnant that I would be just as heartbroken as the last time and therefore did not dare to have me examined by a midwife.

Giulia looked at me briefly as she continued to embroider a handkerchief. I rolled my eyes at the sight, Giulia sat like an old woman at my bedside, watching me all day.

I knew what she was thinking, she wanted me to call a midwife, she thought I was stubborn but didn't say it out loud.

Bianca and Clarice came storming into the room "Jane Seymour is pregnant" Clarice gasped, I sat up in shock "How long already?"

"They say three months. The king is excited about the news and has organized a party to celebrate" Giulia threw her embroidery on the floor. "Call the midwife here now" she commanded Clarice who immediately jumped into action.

Giulia turned to me "I hope you're pregnant too, I can't bear that whore carries the king's child in her."

I sighed quietly. Like Giulia, I also hoped I was pregnant, but only God could make my dream come true.

I slumped back into the bed while I waited with Giulia and Bianca for Clarice to return with the midwife. When she came back into the room after a while with a middle-aged woman, the tension in the room was almost palpable.

The midwife rushed to the bed and began examining me as she asked dozens of questions, which I answered cautiously.

"You are indeed pregnant, my Lady. Two months it looks like." said the midwife as she wiped her hands.

I sighed in relief and jumped out of bed. "Thank you, thank you." I said to the midwife. Giulia walked over to her with a bag of coins and the midwife gratefully accepted it before leaving the room.

When she had left the bedroom and the audience room, my ladies-in-waiting crowded around me.

"God has heard our prayers, my Lady. You carry within you the future King of England." Clarice said blissfully. "May God bless you."

"Amen." I said. I felt overwhelmed with happiness. Not only was jane pregnant, but now so was I. It was no secret that my pregnancy was more important than hers.

I would give the king a living son, something none of his queens could have done.