•Chapter 11

December 25th, 1536, Hampton Court

Christmas came and it was really celebrated at court. Henry had ensured that the best food was served, the best music was played, and the most important guests were invited.

This was my first Christmas at the English court and I had to admit it was different from what I was used to in Italy.

Not only was it celebrated in a different way since England was no longer a Catholic country, but everything felt different. Maybe it was because I felt like an outsider as the only Catholic.

We had attended Mass in English this morning. Something I was not used to, in Italy everything was done in Latin but it turned out that they abhorred the Latin language in England.

They even spoke ill of the Pope in church, where I, the Pope's niece, stood by. But what could I do but smile. I noticed Cromwell was watching me, after all he was a staunch reformist and I a faithful Catholic.

In short, at least I was glad that Mass was over and that we would now enjoy the feast.

My ladies-in-waiting had dressed me in a red dress today but had laced the bodice of my dress a bit looser because of my growing belly. I was now three months pregnant and my belly was already slightly more visible, you could only see it when the thick layers of my dress were removed.

The Lady Mary and Elizabeth also wore dresses in the same shade of red and we walked into the throne room with Henry to open the feast.

As we sat on our thrones and the ladies Mary and Elizabeth had taken their seats in the seats next to me, I looked around.

I saw the Seymour family standing close to our thrones, hoping to attract the attention of the King, who was talking to Charles Brandon. Cromwell was standing in the corner of the place, speaking to some noble lords, and I saw that they pass on something.

I narrowed my eyes at the sight but decided to leave it alone for now. Even if I reported something to the king it was no use. The king trusted Cromwell blindly and I had no power without a son and I was not even crowned as queen.

I turned to the Lady Mary who was staring silently ahead. "Lady Mary, tell me about yourself. You've been at court for two days but I haven't been able to speak to you yet. You currently live in palace Beaulieu, isn't it?"

Mary smiled briefly. "Indeed, my lady, I like to stay in the palace, especially because of the peace I have there."

I smiled. "I was just going to ask you if you wanted to come back and live at court. I would like to have your company during my pregnancy, God knows how long I will have to wait until I can give birth." Mary looked at me and then Henry, who I was talking to and hadn't heard anything about what we were talking, looked doubtful.

"Will His Majesty accept that do you think? I haven't been to court in years. The same goes for Elizabeth, she hasn't been welcomed at court since her mother's death."

I placed my hand on hers "I want to do everything I can to improve the relationship between you and your father. Elizabeth is still young and I hope to be a mother to her." I looked at little Elizabeth sitting next to Mary.

"I hope you will give the king a son. Then maybe we'll finally get our father's love back." Lady Mary said suddenly. I felt my smile fade. Apparently more people were hoping for a prince.

If I had a girl, more lives than just mine would be ruined.

I had to and will have a son.