•Chapter 12

December 25th, 1536, Hampton Court

After the food was served and the tables cleared, the music resumed and there was dancing.

I had hoped to dance too, but Henry was first talking to Charles Brandon and then Cromwell who just wouldn't leave.

I saw that Elizabeth was getting sleepy and I motioned for her nanny. "Take the Lady Elizabeth to her rooms, she is tired." I said to her nanny. She nodded and made a curtsy before taking Elizabeth by the hand.

Lady Mary stood up, "If you'll excuse me. I'm tired too, and wish to retire to my own chambers." Henry nodded and she made a curtsy before leaving the throne room.

Henry resumed his conversation with Cromwell. Leaving me diftong silently.

I looked at Jane and wondered what Henry saw in her. From what I'd heard, Jane was 10 years older than me, making her 28 years old.

By our standards, she would be too old to even be married, let alone bear a child.

She wasn't very pretty either. She had pale blond hair and a plump face. Very different from me, who had dark brown hair and was slim in build.

But what could I say, she apparently had a special place in the king's heart.

Henry grabbed my hand, startling me. "What are you thinking about Lucrezia?" he asked, looking at me curiously.

"I was thinking about the baby we are expecting, I would like to have the nursery in the palace converted, with your permission of course." I lied. Henry smiled. "Of course you can, but I want you to know that after his birth our son will have his own household and will live in another castle."

I looked at him startled. "But why? Why will a child have to live somewhere other than with its mother. This doesn't happen in Italy." I said in a tone that was a little too loud.

Henry looked annoyed by my words as he rose from his throne and walked out of the throne room, leaving me alone in the throne room.

I looked confused around the room. Should I go now or should I stay?

I decided to go for the first option and left for my own rooms where my ladies-in-waiting and chambermaids were waiting for me.

"How was the party." Clarice asked right away when I entered. I went to my bedroom and motioned for the chambermaids to undress me.

"It was fun but it ended a bit unpleasant. The king plans to send our child away after birth to a castle with his or hers own household. When I told him that was not right and that we did not in Italy he got angry and left the party." I said as Giulia pulled the pins out of my hair and combed my hair.

Bianca standing in front of me and taking the jewelry from me looked at me in surprise "Why would he send his own child away? This is indeed something English." She said.

"This gives me one more reason to hate this rotten country, my Lady." Clarice complained angrily as she took My clothes from the chambermaids and handed them my nightgown.

"Clarice!" Giulia hissed, gesturing at the two chambermaids who were still putting on my nightgown.

Clarice bit her lip and they continued in silence to get me ready for the night.

the king did not come to my room and I fell asleep alone.