•Chapter 57

December 17th, 1540, Greenwich Palace

Two days passed and Lady Mary and I avoided each other like the plague. No one seemed to notice. The king was too busy planning the war to notice, and I had locked myself in my chambers for the past two days on the pretext of feeling unwell.

My own ladies-in-waiting had returned to their service and I had told them all about our discussion

"Did she really say that?"  Bianca said as she pulled my dress over my head. "Yes, she actually said it."

"She must have been very angry and upset that you were discussing that subject with her." Clarice said picking out my jewelry.

"She has no right to speak to a queen like that, no matter how angry she may be."  Giulia said annoyed, she laced up my dress.  "She's not a princess anymore and even if she was, she needs to know her place."

"It doesn't matter anymore, this is not my main concern. What worries me is the fact that she was right. I must and will give the king more sons otherwise I will never be able to achieve my goal." I said.

"You will exhaust your body by bearing so many children. It is not healthy." said Giulia. She had neatly arranged my dress and motioned for me to sit in front of my dressing table where she started working on my hair.

"I who are the work of god, he will protect me." I bounced back. I saw through the mirror day she shook her head. "At least make sure you don't get pregnant now. Isabella was just born and your body really needs to heal first."

I nodded. "Don't worry, the king is very busy to even think about visiting my bed and I will be too busy planning the Christmas festivities. Speaking of which, Jane Seymour will be back at court around Christmas to visit Edward  .

Jane was allowed to visit Edward three times a year for a week. His birthday, Christmas and in the summer. Henry and I thought that was enough for someone who insisted so much on having her son at court.

"I'll arrange everything in advance."  said Bianca. I nodded and she made a curtsy and left the room.

Giulia put my hair up in a low chignon and put a blue net over it that went with my dress.

When she was done, I walked with Clarice and Bianca to Henry's study. In the hallways I was greeted by curtsy and bows and I was congratulated on the birth of Isabella.

Arriving at the door of Henry's study, I saw Charles Brandon and Francis Bryant.  When they saw me, they bowed deeply.

"My lord, Sir Francis, how glad I am to see you. How are you?" I asked with a smile.

"I am well, Your Majesty, I hope you are well too."  said Francis Bryant. I smiled again. "I'm sure I'm fine, the birth of my daughter has given us so much joy and so has our new alliance. Charles, how is your wife? I haven't heard from her in a long time."

Charles smiled sadly. "Our wedding has been canceled. She has moved to France."

I bit my lip. I had completely forgotten that Catherine had told me that she had met someone else and was pregnant with him and therefore wanted to divorce Charles.

"I'm so sorry. I hope you find your happiness in marriage again." I placed my hand comfortingly on his.

The touch of his hand sent a shiver through my body and I quickly let go of him.

"I can only hope to have such a happy marriage as you and the King, Your Majesty." he said with a laugh.

I smiled briefly. "The three of us had a good time working together recently. I hope we could all work together again in the distant future if there is someone who stands in our way again." I said softly.  "But, of course, Your Majesty. I will not be surprised if there are still more people in His Majesty's inner circle who poison his thoughts."  Answer Francis Bryant.

"We're on the same page on many things. I'm sure we won't like the same people. Now if you'll excuse me, gentlemen, I'm going to visit the king."

I nodded briefly at them and then walked into the study. I made a curtsy and then walked over to Henry.

When Henry noticed me he smiled. "My love, how are you. Are you feeling better?"  He asked

I smiled and walked over to him. "I feel reborn." I stood behind him and tried to read over his shoulders with what he had written on the paper.

"My dear, I wanted to discuss something with you, if I may." I said carefully. "But tell me, honey."

I took a deep breath. "I was thinking: Lady Mary is getting old and still not married. I was hoping we could arrange a wedding for her before you travel to the continent."

Henry remained silent, and I was afraid I'd said more than I had to say.

"Who did you have in mind?" He asked.

"Ferdinand, youngest son of the late King of Portugal, but a year older than Mary. He will probably never become king, but he is known to be a rich man. Mary wouldn't even have to move to Portugal if we gave him a  title here in England." I said quickly.

Henry took my hand. "And why him?"

I had to watch my words now.

"He brings with him money and real estate from the new world. He, as brother of the Portuguese king, can assist us in moments of war. He is handsome, I have heard, and probably the only man Mary would accept."

Henry paused again. "I will write to the King of Portugal, and if he agrees, they will marry as soon as possible. Don't tell the Lady Mary yet, just hold off."

Mary wouldn't be happy about this. But I promised Isabella that I would do everything to marry her. So if that meant my friendship between me and Mary would be gone forever, at least I know it was for a good deed.

I smiled. "Thanks Henry, you don't know how much you are helping your daughter with this." I kissed him on the top of his head. "How's the war planning going, when are you leaving."

"We hope to be able to leave in April, no later than May. We will be away for three months at the most."

I felt my heart sink. "So long? But what's next? Who's going to take care of everything here when you're gone?"

I would hate to have a regent in the country I couldn't get along with.

"You of course, you will be my regent."

"What?" I said surprised.

Henry pulled me onto his lap. "I trust you, you are smart and love England as one who is naturally English. I would entrust the country to you alone."

"I'm not sure I'll live up to your expectations."  I looked at him with emotion.  "You are Lucrezia De'Medici, not my hand-chosen Queen of England, but God sent Queen. You are all I need." He kissed me.

I buried my face in his neck and we sat like that for a while.

After a while Henry started rubbing my back gently.  "Come, you have a wedding to plan and I have a war."

I got up reluctantly and made a curtsy after which I kissed him on the head and walked out of the room.