•Chapter 6

September 20th, 1536, Hampton Court.

The trip to Hampton Court went well and before I knew it I was in the most beautiful palace in England I had seen so far.

The king had given me large rooms and decorated them with the most beautiful paintings. He still paraded with Jane by his side as if she were the queen.

I tried to ignore it and focused on my pregnancy, even though I wasn't sure I was pregnant yet.

~

"How was your day, Your Majesty?" I asked as I took a bite of my supper. The king looked at me with a smile."You will really have to start calling me by my name Lucrezia. My day was good, I hunted and managed to catch several deer".

I smiled "That's good...Henry. I received a letter from your daughter Mary today". Henry's smile faded "what did she write?" he asked tensely.

"She wrote kind things as usual and said she prayed for us." Did I say "when can I meet her?"

Henry thought for a moment "I'd rather not have her at court, I can't trust her" "But why, it's your very own daughter!" I said a little too loud. "She's a Catholic" he simply said "And so am i, don't you trust me either?"

"No"

I looked at him hurt. "Well if you can't trust me then why give me all the freedom. You should lock me up, forbid me to write or receive letters and put spies in my household."

Henry looked at me annoyed "Who says I haven't already".

I angrily pushed my chair back and stood on "I shall take my leave" I looked at him angrily and walked out of the room.

I angrily ran to my room and slammed the door behind me, startling my ladies-in-waiting. "My Lady what's going on?" Clarice asked.

"Did you know that the king reads my letters and spies on me?" I said."He doesn't trust me because I'm a Catholic. Like I.." I stopped speaking due to a wet feeling between my legs. I lifted my skirts and saw the blood running down my legs.

"You're bleeding!" Bianca shouted as she grabbed a handkerchief and wiped the blood "your period has come"

I clung to the table as I felt the tears welling up. I was so hoping to be pregnant. When I didn't get my period I was assured I was pregnant, but apparently that was a sham.

Giulia came to me and hugged me "ssst everything will be fine my lady, you will be pregnant soon" she whispered as she hugged me tight.