•Chapter 7

September 29, 1536, Hampton Court

"It's really time you showed yourself to the court again," Giulia said. I turned away from her and pulled the covers over my head.

I had already locked myself in my rooms for a week and refused any kind of contact with the outside world.

Ever since I found out I wasn't pregnant, I'd been heartbroken. Already now I wished to have a child, not only to keep myself safe, but also because my heart wanted it.

"People talk about you my lady, they say that you are too arrogant and that you conduct yourself high because you are related to the Pope." Giulia continued "I don't care" I said from under the covers.

She sighed in annoyance and suddenly pulled the covers off me roughly "My Lady hink of your reputation. Ever since your arrival in England you have behaved like a true Italian, which is a good thing but not at this moment. The king is going on with his mistress while you're lying here like a slob" she said sternly "we've changed your wardrobe for english style dresses. It's time you took the king's heart for yourself and now"

I looked at her with tears in my eyes and reluctantly stood on "Very well then, help me wash and get dressed". Giulia smiled and gestured to Clarice and Bianca to help me.

After washing I was dressed in a sapphire blue dress with gold details. I had gold earrings with sapphires hanging on my ears with a matching necklace and ring.

I looked at myself in the mirror. I looked beautiful. "Perfect for tonight's party" I said to my ladies in waiting who were busy with my hair. "Yeah, perfect" Giulia smiled.

~

"Make way for the Lady Lucrezia," cried the footman as I entered the throne room. Everyone stepped aside and bowed. I saw people whispering to each other at the sight of my new clothes and I smiled back at them.

Now they couldn't call me an arrogant Italian anymore.

When I arrived at the dais where the king sat I was greeted by Charles Brandon "My Lady" he bowed "Your grace" I bowed my head briefly, I turned to the king and made a curtsy "Your Majesty".

Henry gestured to the chair next to him and I took a seat "I heard you were sick last week, are you okay now?" he asked as he took a sip of his wine. "Thank you for your care, I'm fine now. I was able to rest well and can now fully enjoy our stay here in Hampton Court" I accepted a glass of wine from Henry's pageboy.

Henry nodded in satisfaction and turned back to Charles Brandon. I looked ahead thoughtfully, there had to be some way I could win the king over.

I got up from the chair and stood before the king "shall we dance your majesty" I asked bravely, henry looked at me surprised but accepted my offer.

"Play a Volta!" he shouted to the musicians. I heard the guests in the room and let out a surprised scream.

I smiled at the king as I got into position "Your Majesty is a daredevil I see" said grinning as we danced. "I am several things"

I danced around him "I like to believe that" I jumped "You are a cheeky one, Lucrezia, have you always been like that?" Henry asked as he took my hand. "Since childhood. My mother often had to punish me for my brutality but I never stopped"

"Your parents died when you were young I understood, you don't say much else about it" I smiled "One day I will answer all your questions about my past for you but tonight we will enjoy the party" I went stand closer to him "and each other I assume". I took another step back and made a curtsy when the music stopped.

The guests applauded and Henry and I sat back on our thrones. "What did you just say?" The king asked slyly, "I said we would enjoy each other, As husband and wife." I sulkly said "Will you come to my bed tonight?"

Henry took my hand and kissed that "Of course Lucrezia"

I smiled, I had succeeded in winning over the king. But how long will I have his attention before Jane takes it away from me again.