•Chapter 28

July 14th, 1537, Burbage

It was dark, as if it were night.

I felt a severe pain go through my head.

O God, what had happened and why did I have such a terrible pain in my head.

I tried to open my eyes, with great effort, but when they finally opened I was blinded by a dim light.

"God's mercy, she's awake!" I heard someone calling. I blinked, hoping to get a better look at the person.

It was giulia, she went over my face worried. I tried to say something but no word came out of my lips.

"She is awake, warn the doctor and the king." She said now, she took my hand. "You scared us so much Lucrezia." she said softly.

"What happened?" I asked confused. "You had gone hunting with the king and another group of people, but they had suddenly lost you. Finally, some of the groomsman who had come along went looking for you and saw you lying unconscious on the ground. The horse had already ridden away."

I suddenly remembered what had happened. Giulia continued, "You have been unconscious for hours but now you are finally awake."

I wanted to say something back but Henry came into the room with a doctor.

"Lucrezia, my God you are finally awake, how are you feeling?" Henry asked concerned as he stood next to Giulia. "My head... it hurts." I said with difficulty. Henry looked at the doctor "the queen has had a concussion, it is important that she remains calm until the headache goes away then everything will be fine." said the doctor.

Henry nodded and motioned for the doctor to leave "did you hear? You will have to lie down for a while. We will have to extend our stay here."

I shook my head, causing pain, "No I don't want to stay here a moment longer. I want to go to the palace." I said, I noticed it took less effort to speak.

"But you heard what the doctor said..." I interrupted him "If you want you can stay here with Jane, but I want to go to the palace, I don't care where as long as I'm away from this stinking hole. I've only been treated badly here and you've accepted that. What kind of queen is treated like this? And then you who also stroll that whore like she's the queen. If only the Holy Father knew I was being treated this way, all of Christianity would be burning your shores." I suddenly exclaimed angrily. I felt a wave of anger go through me.

It felt good to express my anger at Henry, even though my head continued to hurt.

Henry looked startled by my words and walked away from the bed. "I'll make sure you take the carriage to Hampton Court tomorrow. That is the nearest Palace."

I tried to sit up but giulia tried to stop me. "And you stay here with your bastard son and Jane. You will play the happy couple here while your own wife is sick in another palace and your son is being raised by a group of people who are not his family. What kind of man are you?" I said Henry was already leaving the room.

I slumped back into my pillow and screamed. "Please Lucrezia, this is not good for you. Please rest for tomorrow's journey." Giulia soothed me desperately.

"I had to express my anger, I have no other choice or I will go crazy." I said wearily. "I understand. I will ask Clarice and Bianca to pack all our things so that we can leave immediately."

I nodded and felt myself slowly drifting off to sleep.