•Chapter 51

December 4th,1540, kingdom of Spain

"How far along is your pregnancy?" Isabella asked when we had taken a seat in her sitting room and her ladies-in-waiting had poured us drinks.

"8 months, I'm due at the end of January." I said as I ran my hand over my stomach. "I can't wait to be able to carry the baby in my arms."

Isabella smiled. "I know the feeling, I have had seven children of my own that God chose to keep with him. Every time I was pregnant I counted the days impatiently until I could give birth and hold the baby in my arms."

"I'm sorry for your loss, it must have been terrible to lose your children." I said with pity. Isabella's smile faded briefly.

"It was indeed. Losing a child is something every woman might fear when pregnant except for death after childbirth. I should be happy that I survived every birth to see my living children grow up."

"That's true, speaking of children, there may be a chance I'll be able to meet the infanta Joanna."

She nodded. "That will certainly be possible. My husband has scheduled you to meet the children on the day the alliance is signed, in a few days. It is a pity that I will not be able to get to know your son personally, but I trust that you have raised him in an exemplary manner. Please tell me more about your children"

I smiled at the thought of the children." My first son, James, 3, is an exuberant child, very curious and eager to learn. He gets along well with my second Arthur. Arthur is also very exuberant and full of energy, really there is no moment of silence when he is around. Then we have Henry's two other children, Elizabeth and Edward, whom I am raising myself. Elizabeth is already 7 years old and looks up to her older sister Mary very much. And Edward is very calm and quiet."

"I respect you raising your husband's bastard children. That is very brave of you."

"They are the children of the man I love and serve, I can't help but love them as if they were my own." I said, and I meant the words.

Suddenly I felt a stab feeling in my stomach again and gasped painfully.

"Is everything all right?" Isabella immediately asked, startled, she placed a hand on my leg.

"Yes, I'm fine." I said after the pain subsided. "This is happening all the time."

"Isn't there a chance you're going to give birth?" she asked concerned.

I shook my head. "No, that's impossible, I'm not due until January." I said. "I'm probably just too tense, the journey was exhausting."

"Okay, then rest before we have dinner." she said as she helped me get up.

I smiled gratefully and walked out of the room. My ladies-in-waiting were waiting in the hall and walked with me to the rooms prepared for me and then lay down on the bed where I fell asleep immediately.