•Chapter 4

June 17, 1536, London

The day of the wedding was approaching and the whole court had prepared for the king's third wedding.

The last few days had been busy for me. Almost every day my rooms were filled with people who wanted to discuss things with me and show me their respect.

I spoke little to the king. I had dined with him three times and occasionally ran into him in the hallways where we greeted each other politely and then went our separate ways.

Early that morning I had been donned into my wedding dress by my ladies-in-waiting, and my hair was braided into an intricate Italian-style braid and decorated with gold ribbons.

As I entered the chapel I was welcomed by several people of noble descent. The king stood at the front of the chapel dressed in a gold and white ensemble.

"Your majesty" I whispered as I joined him. "Lucrezia" he said as he took my hand and turned to the Archbishop.

The Archbishop began the prayer and I listened intently. When he finished, we made our vows and returned to the palace to perform our marital obligations.

~

"May God bless you with eternal fertility and may he give you a son to secure this land. In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit Amen." Prayed the Archbishop, I made the sign of the cross and quickly murmured my own prayer before getting into bed with the help of my ladies-in-waiting.

The king came into the room with his retinue and sat down next to me in the bed, after which the archbishop said another prayer.

I breathed in nervously as I watched everyone leave the room. Giulia gave me an encouraging smile. I smiled back, knowing that my ladies-in-waiting would begin praying for me as soon as they left the room.

The king took my hand and I startled. "Are you afraid Lucrezia?" He asked, I smiled bravely "I'm never afraid Your Majesty, shall we do our duty"

The king nodded and we then made love.