•Chapter 36

December 25th, 1537, Hampton court

When I returned to my rooms, my ladies-in-waiting helped me put on a new dress.

This time I was dressed in a red dress, similar to Elizabeth's I also got a wreath of Christmas flowers in my hair.

Mary , Margaret, Maggie, Elizabeth and I would all wear the same clothes, it was their tradition.

After I was dressed, I left for the throne room where I would meet the rest of the group.

"Make way for His Majesties the King and Queen and Queen Margaret, Lady Mary, Lady Elizabeth and Lady Margaret." cried the lackey.

Henry and I walked hand in hand into the great hall. Everyone around us bowed deeply.

"Dear friends, I wish you all a Merry Christmas!" Henry said before we took our seats on our throne and the rest on the seats around us.

The musicians started playing the music again and there was laughter and dancing again.

Several guests came to the throne to greet us. Henry introduced me to the people I didn't know myself.

My two younger maids, Lady Howard and Lady Carey, were amazed, and I secretly laughed at their surprise.

"Girls." I said to them "If you want to dance you should go ahead, okay?"

They nodded happily and made a curtsy before disappearing into the crowd.

After an hour or two noticed most of the guests were already quite tipsy.

I noticed that Lady Mary Boleyn was standing in the back of the room with her daughter Catherine Carey.

It was now time to carry out my plan.

I looked at giulia and she nodded and walked into the room.

I turned to Henry and placed my hand on his knee. "Lady Elizabeth is tired, I'll tuck her in and I'll be back, all right?"

Henry nodded with a smile, obviously tipsy, and I got up, cursed, and took Elizabeth with me.

"Where are we going?" Elizabeth asked, rubbing her eyes. "I'll put you to bed. But first you go talk to someone."

We walked into my own room. Lady Mary Boleyn was already in the room and when she saw us walk in, tears immediately appeared in her eyes.

Mary slumped to the ground. "Elizabeth." she sobbed "O beautiful child come to your aunt." She held her arms open.

Elizabeth looked at me doubtfully but I gave her an encouraging smile as I pushed her towards Mary.

Mary took Elizabeth in her arms.

"You look so much like your mother Elizabeth. So much." Mary said, she stroked Elizabeth hair.

"Elizabeth this woman here is your lady aunt. Your mother's sister mary, you know who your mother is don't you?" I asked Elizabeth.

Elizabeth nodded. "Anne is my Lady Mother. But she is dead now."

Tears appeared in Mary's eyes again.

"That's true Elizabeth. Lady Carey is your niece and she can tell you a lot about your lady mother. Would you like that?" I asked again.

Elizabeth nodded "yes mama, I'd love to."

Mary hugged Elizabeth again. "I'll tell Catherine. I'll try to talk to you as much as I can when I have the chance, otherwise I'll write to you, okay?"

Elizabeth nodded again and hugged Mary.

I cleared my throat. "We have to go before anyone notices us." I said as I grabbed Elizabeth again. Mary nodded and made a curtsy after which I walked to the nursery with Elizabeth.

"are you happy Elizabeth?" I asked her as we walked into her bedroom and I took the wreath out of her hair, she nodded happily "very happy, I'll tell Kat everything later." she said

I stopped what I was doing and gently grabbed her face. "You mustn't tell anyone about this, Elizabeth, or you'll never see your aunt again, including your cousin Catherine. Don't tell anyone, not even your father, understand?" I said sternly.

she nodded and I proceeded to undress her and put on her nightgown.

"good night my dear" I said as I tucked her in and kissed her forehead.

I walked out of the room. It felt good to have done something for someone, especially if that person was my own stepdaughter.