•Chapter 38

December 26th, 1537, Hampton Court.

The next day came and that meant that Henry and I were going to the wedding of Cromwell's son and the Seymour maid.

Because of my pregnancy, Henry had chosen that we would not go to the chapel but that we would celebrate in the palace.

He had arranged a play and a banquet on behalf of the couple.

Today we would also take Edward in the palace. He would share the children's apartment with James and Elizabeth.

I wasn't happy to have Edward at court, but I was happy to keep Jane under my control by separating her from her son.

~

Henry and I had been seated on our thrones with a play in progress when Cromwell came to us.

Even at his son's wedding, this man seemed to be at work.

"Majesties." he said with a bow. "Cromwell, relax a little it's a beautiful day for you and your family." Henry said teasingly, but Cromwell's gaze remained serious.

"I have news, Your Majesty, news concerning you and the Queen." Cromwell said. "Speak."

"His Holiness, Pope Clement has passed away."

I felt my heart skip a beat.

It couldn't be true, the Pope couldn't be dead. He was my most powerful ally.

My cousin Caterina and I were lost. Who would pay off our dowry now? Caterina's situation in France was already tense because she had no children, the Pope made sure they couldn't divorce but what would happen now?

Henry looked at me concerned. "Are you okay Lucrezia?"

I shook my head slowly and rose from the throne. "I have to...I have to..." I tried to say but my eyes started to blur and before I knew it I fell away.

~

When I came to concience, I was already in my own bed. I was surrounded by my ladies-in-waiting, Henry, and a doctor who looked at me with concern.

"God you're awake again." Said Henry, "the Pope...the baby." I placed my hand on my stomach concerned.

"Everything is going well with baby Lucrezia. Thank God I just managed to catch you and you didn't fall to the floor."

I breathed a sigh of relief and closed my eyes for a moment. "I have to write to my niece."

"Isn't it better that you rest first Lucrezia?" Henry suggested. I opened my eyes again "no I have to write to her, it's urgent."

Henry sighed. "All right, quote what you want written and I'll write the letter for you." He turned to my ladies-in-waiting. "Would you bring me some paper and fetch the prince so that he can be with his mother. You may then leave the room."

They brought him paper and I started quoting the letter.

Dear cousin,

I have heard the news of our poor uncle, His Holiness, and am heartbroken.

How is your situation in France? If there's anything I can help you with, don't hesitate to ask.

I wish we were together now so we could share our grief. It hurts me terribly to know that you are alone, far from me.

There are still nights when I have nightmares about what happened to us. I'm sure you experience the same bad dreams and I know it scares you.

I think of you and pray for you.

Lucrezia De'Medici, Queen of England.

Henry stamped the letter and folded it.

"What do you mean by 'the things we've been through'?" Henry asked curiously. I sighed. "Caterina and I went through terrible things during the fall of my family in Florence."

The thought of it gave me goosebumps again. It was 10 years ago but I could relive every moment.

Henry sat down next to me on the bed. "Want to tell me?". I hesitated for a moment and then nodded.

"As you know, I am the daughter of Alesandro De'Medici and Elena Salviati. My father was Piero De'Medici's second son, he had an older brother Lorenzo, Caterina's father, and a sister Clarice. When I was only a year old my uncle Lorenzo and his wife Madeleine passed away leaving my cousin Caterina, who was only a few months old, orphaned. My grandmother then decided to take her in, but she died shortly after. My parents then decided to take Caterina in and we grew up to be the best of friends, we were only a few months apart in age so it was natural that we became good friends. When I was five years old and Caterina 4, my own mother died as a result of her delivery, along with my brother, and my father died 5 months later as a result of grief and illness. Caterina and I were suddenly taken from my familiar home to our Aunt Clarice where we were raised with her children. At that time the current medici pope died and my family power in Florence was suddenly much less, that was until my uncle became the pope. He sent us back to a 'palazzo' in Florence where we lived in luxury. But suddenly when I was 9 and Caterina 8 the Medici were overthrown in Florence by a faction opposed to my uncle's regime, Caterina and I were taken hostage by them and placed in a series of convents . We had to live in convents for three years and Uncle finally had to crown Charles of Spain as Emperor to save us. In October 1529, Charles's troops laid siege to Florence and while the siege was going on there were people who wanted us to be killed and displayed on the city walls, they wanted to rape us, two girls aged 8 and 9. It was not until 1530 that we were finally free and that Uncle took us in Rome."

Henry looked at me in surprise all the while." That must have been terrible. I had indeed heard that something like this was going on in Italy but never knew it was so serious. I was too busy with my divorce at the time."

I wiped the tears from my eyes." It was also terrible. I am eternally grateful to the Pope and the Emperor Charles, who knows what would have happened if he hadn't come to our rescue. I've had nightmares for nights and still have them now and then."

Henry wanted to say something but the door opened and Bianca walked in with James in her arms.

I immediately opened my arms to take him from her and when he was in my arms I kissed his round face.

"My beautiful son, my heart." I said as I continued to kiss him. Henry laughed "you spoil the boy too much Lucrezia."

I smiled "I can't help it. He is my only child so far. When his brother or sister is there, they will be spoiled just as much, that's for sure." I said in reply.

"I am only too happy to believe that." Henry turned to Bianca "Edward is already in the nursery."

Bianca nodded, "The Seymour family has already left and left the child behind. They wished to have another audience, but it was declined, and they accepted the marriage for the Lady Jane and the Sir John, and the marriage would take place as soon as possible." She said in response.

I secretly smiled as I played with James.

My plan to get rid of Jane had worked.

Now only Cromwell was left.