•Chapter 20

July 4th,1537, Westminster Palace.

The next day I avoided Henry wherever I ran into him. I made sure to stay well away from him.

Henry had hurt me and I couldn't forgive him very easily.

I knew that his choice was made and that I had to accept it, at least as long as the Holy Father had not come to my aid.

~

I sat in the sleeping quarters of my room, absorbed in my prayers. I had neglected my prayers for the past few weeks, I was sure that if my own mother was still alive she would have reprimanded me for it.

I looked at the rosary I held in my hand. It had once belonged to my mother. She herself had received it from her own mother, who had received it from her husband.

I hoped to pass it on to my own daughter someday, if I ever got one.

"My Lady." I heard someone say from behind me. I turned to Giulia who was standing behind me.

"Master Cromwell is here." she said with a disgusted expression.

I nodded quietly and made the sign of the cross before standing up and patting my dress.

As I walked into the audience room, Cromwell bowed.

"To what have I the honor to see you, master Cromwell." I looked at him questioningly.

"His Majesty the King has ordered me to tell you that the plans for your coronation have been completed and that you will have to prepare for it. He has also instructed me to ask you to make a list of the people you would like to take care of The Prince at Hatfield House, Lady Bryant will take on the role of governess." Cromwell placed a few papers on the table.

I looked at the stack of papers and then back at Cromwell. "Was that it?"

"I came to give you this one back too." He handed me a letter and when I turned it over I saw that it was stamped with my seal only it was broken. "Unfortunately, I cannot send this propaganda letter to the Pope."

"How dare you read my letters? I am the queen." I looked at him withering.

Cromwell smiled "The King has given me permission to read your letters before they leave the palace. You're lucky I didn't report the letter to the king." He bowed. "My Lady." He walked to the door.

"Cromwell." I said, he turned back. "I advise you to be very careful with what little power you have. I will be your end, I can promise you that."

"Of course my Lady."

When he had left the room, Giulia entered the audience room. I turned to him. "I have to get rid of him, and as soon as possible."

She remained silent but I knew she understood what I meant. "Poison?". I nodded, "But you said never to use poison again, not since the last time."

I sighed. "Yes that's true, I can't do that. But what else should I do? Cromwell is constantly watching me and he has too much power over the king."

"We'll come up with something, Lucrezia. Shall we make the list for the prince's household first?" I knew giulia was trying to change my mind.

I nodded and sat down with her behind the table.