Who Knew? (m.g.g)

summary: reader moves to america, more specifically los angeles, happy to begin her new life. being a fan of matthew gray gubler, who knew her fear of butterflies would lead to the two meeting?
warnings: lepidopterophobia (fear of butterflies/moths), fluff, panic attack
this was requested! i changed it slightly, but i hope you enjoy overall:)

y/n locked the door of her apartment. the only thing in there was boxes, a couch, and a mattress on the floor of her small one bedroom.

getting a job in waitressing, y/n quickly wanted to jump into acting. matthew gray gubler has been her idol ever since she saw him on criminal minds.

spencer reid quickly won over her heart, and y/n soon found herself searching up the whole cast. that's when her matthew fan-girling began; almost a year ago.

walking towards the little coffee shop that sat on the block, y/n sucked in a deep breath as she noticed a tall man standing outside.

his shaggy brown hair was tucked behind his ears as he scrolled on his phone. the tree above him was shading his skin in the hot LA weather.

matthew gray fucking gubler was standing in front of her.

y/n leaned against the wall next to her. her hands were shaking as she tried to control her breathing. should i talk to him?

yes, you should fucking talk to him y/n.

her mind was running at a thousand miles per hour. she gulped, her heart racing in her chest as her wobbly legs moved her body.

"hi- ah!" y/n cut herself off. a giant black butterfly came fluttering towards her. without thinking, she ran behind matthew, using his body to shield hers.

y/n had been scared of insects, specifically butterflies, ever since she was a little girl. she was eating lunch with her mother when one flew onto her nose. all she could remember was the creature's legs tickling her nose as it flapped its wings sending her into a panic.

"what-" matthew began confused as he felt the girl's hands on his body.

she was hiding her face in his shoulder and he could hear her sobs. matthew scrunched his eyebrows when he saw the black butterfly circling them.

ah.

it clicked in his head. he shooed the butterfly away, watching it flap its wings as it flew off.
"are you okay?" matthew asked.

"i-i have a huge phobia of butterflies." y/n let out a shaky breath. matthew noticed her accent instantly. the other thing he noticed was how incredibly beautiful she was.

"you're okay, okay? i promise. i'm here." matthew gave her a hug.

y/n sighed into his neck.

pulling away, matthew pursed his lips together. "can i buy you a coffee?"

-

"i noticed your accent- just move here?" matthew asked, sipping his drink.

"yes, actually. i want to take up acting, it's been a passion of mine since i was little." y/n answered.

"where did that phobia of butterflies come from?" matthew asked with a smile.

y/n told matthew the story.

"i know it's dumb but-"

matthew cut her off.

"it's not dumb, y/n. your fears and feelings are valid."

y/n grinned. "can i tell you something?"

"of course."

"i'm a huge fan of your work. i'm sorry if that's weird- but- i just thought you would like to know. i promise i'm not a crazy fangirl but-"

"it's okay. i can tell you're not." matthew reassured her.

y/n nodded, taking a sip of the liquid. something felt peaceful- almost safe.

"can i get your number?" matthew blurted.

"of course." y/n smiled widely.