"Let Me Go" (s.r)

summary: in which reader and spencer are at the wrong place at the wrong time
warnings: angst with a fluff ending, gunshots, blood, um yeah 😜

"shut up, babe." Y/n laughed, shaking her head as she drove the black car to the library. Spencer had asked her to take him to return a book.

"i'll be in and out, quicker than the speed of light." he said, kissing his wife's cheek and jogging to the door.

it was a Tuesday afternoon and the couple had just gotten off of work. luckily, they had a fairly easy case that was finished in one day.

Y/n opened her phone and began to scroll, her heart dropping when loud BANGS were heard from inside the library.

"shit shit shit." she muttered to herself, reaching into the back of her car and grabbing a spare bullet proof vest. everyone thought she was ridiculous for keeping spare vests in there, but at the moment she was so thankful for thinking the worst.

she ran into the library, dead bodies lying on the ground as their blood seeped into the carpet floor.

she drew her gun, steadily looking around in search for her husband or the shooter.

"fuck." she whispered, footsteps heard behind her. she quickly whipped her head around, her grip tightening on the weapon as she walked closer to the steps.

a man was standing there, a rather large gun in his hands as he searched the isles for more people.

"drop the weapon!" she yelled, startling the man slightly.

"FBI! DROP YOUR FUCKING WEAPON!" she shouted at him, noticing the way his fingers gripped harder onto the gun.

he began to lift the black object, but Y/n was quicker and shot him in the head. she let out a sigh of relief.

"Spencer?! baby?!" she yelled, running around.

he was seated against the wall, his stomach bloody as he pushed against the wound.

"Spencer.. oh my god." she panicked, pulling out her phone and dialing 911.

"hi! my name is Y/n Reid and there's been a shooting at 167 Rivalry Road! please hurry.." she pleaded, noticing Spencer becoming unconscious.

"stay with me, love. please.. keep looking at me." she said, grabbing his face. his brown eyes tiredly looked at her.

"fuck!" she yelled, throwing her phone. she hadn't known what had came over her, her mind full of nothing. it was the worst feeling yet.. a full mind of empty thoughts.

"you're going to be okay, alright, Spence? you have to promise me you'll stay here with me." she said, putting pressure on his wound.

"Y/n.." he choked out, blood spurting from his mouth.

"you don't need to talk, Spencer. i love you so much, okay? please know how much i love you. you're my everything, Spencer Reid. you have to stay with me." she pleaded, tears spilling from her eyes.

"Y/n.. let me go." he whispered.

"no! Spencer please." she sobbed, grabbing his head gently and holding to her chest.

"where are the fucking ambulances?" she asked, running her fingers in his matted hair.

the doors to the library opened, EMT's running towards them. "you have to help my husband, please. he's all i have." she told them, holding Spencer's hand as they lifted him onto the stretcher.

hours later Y/n sat in the waiting room, blood stained on her shirt and hands. she was extremely exhausted as the team stood with her in silence.

"he told me to let him go." she sobbed out suddenly, causing Garcia to cry more.

"how could he think i would do that?" Y/n asked herself.

"Y/n Reid?" a feminine voice asked.

Y/n stood up immediately, her legs shaking and she stumbled a bit. "i'm she. is Spencer okay?"

"he's stable. the surgery went well, half an inch over and it would have hit a very fatal artery. he's very lucky, but he's awake. only family can see him now." the nurse said, leading the woman back to the rooms.

the hospital was eery as she walked. Y/n had never liked hospitals, she always told Spencer they reminded her of death.

"Spence.." Y/n trailed off, looking at her husband who laid onto the bed hooked up to many machines.

"hi, sweetheart." he weakly smiled at her. she walked up to him, planting kisses on his face gently.

"how could you ever think i would let you go, Spencer? you see this ring?" she held up her wedding ring.

"this ring means forever. you're my forever." she told him.

"and you're mine. i love you." he said softly.

"i love you."