Be Kind (s.r)

summary: reader and spencer have a difficult relationship at work.
warnings: fluff, angst, swearing, mentions of case/family death.
a/n: based on the song Be Kind by Halsey and Marshmello

wanna believe, wanna believe
that you don't have a bad bone in your body
but the bruises on your ego make you go
wild, wild, wild, yeah

Y/n had really tried to be kind to Spencer. but, ever since their first meeting it had been very challenging. maybe it was just a rough day for him, or he woke up on the wrong side of the bed?

or.. it was maybe the fact that Y/n had challenged Spencer's hypothesis. he wasn't used to being challenged. everyone normally went along with what he said, but Y/n caught him off guard.

and thus, a war brewed between the two.

wanna believe, wanna believe
that even when you're stone cold you're sorry
tell me why you gotta be so out of your mind

Y/n had tried to apologize to Spencer, but it was hard to be sincere when she didn't think she did anything wrong.

"i'm sorry, Spencer." she said emotionless.

Spencer just rolled his eyes, not wanting to except an insincere apology.

i know you're chokin' on your fears
already told you i'm right here
i will stay by your side
every night

years later, the pair were still going at it. they couldn't be in the same room with each other for more than ten minutes, even then it's hard not throwing snarky comments at each other.

a particular hard case has struck the team. Penelope was briefing everyone in the round table room, showing pictures of the crime scene.

"this was (sibling name) L/n. murdered and dumped into a back alley of a (home town) club."

no one had made the connection that the person in the picture looked similar to Y/n.

"excuse me." Y/n cleared her throat, exiting the room fast. Spencer had noticed her behavior as soon as the picture has shown up. that's when it clicked.

he stood up quickly, motioning to Y/n as he ran behind the girl. alright, maybe deep down inside of the genius he had developed some feelings for the profiler.

he watched as she ran into the nearest file room, shutting the door behind her. he took a deep breath, running his hand through his hair.

opening the door, he saw Y/n sitting down in one of the chairs. her head was in her hands, her shoulders were heaving. she didn't look up when the door opened.

Spencer squatted down next to her, his arm awkwardly wrapping around her. she didn't care who it was at this moment, she just needed to be held.

"i'm right here, it's going to be okay."

i don't know why you hide from the one
and close your eyes to the one
mess up and lie to the one that you love

"i..i'm fine, Spencer." she wiped away her tears, lifting up her head. she closed her eyes, mumbling that she's okay. but Spencer knew better.

"don't lie to me, Y/n."

when you know you can cry to the one
always confide in the one
you can be kind to the one that you love

Y/n let out a deep breath, a sob leaving her body as she fell into Spencer's arms. he wrapped her up in a tight hug, his fingers running through her hair.