Chapter 1

Maybe I'd always be a failure.

It was an effort to keep up with the others, and I know all of them noticed it too. Back in the city, most would help me or give me a head start considering I was the High Lords daughter, but the Valkyrie either forgot--or just did not care. I do not know if I am grateful for that or not.

"Hold on everyone, I think the Princess needs a break." Razira shouts, and most of the other girl's chuckle.

Definitely not grateful.

"I am fine." I say behind gritted teeth. I was most certainly not fine-- my heart felt like it was about to burst out of my chest from all the running we were doing. I knew no matter what my response was, the girls in my squadron would continue with or without me, and that is exactly what they did. A low growl rose up in the back of my throat, but I pushed on running to keep up with them. I did my best never to use my powers around them because I never believed it to be fair--but in this moment I wanted nothing else but for my shadows to drop all of them on their asses.

I almost cry out in relief when Razira announces we are done with our running and can now start training--sword to sword combat. I looked around for anyone that might agree to be partners with me but, once again, nobody even looks my way. I must stop myself from rolling my eyes as I hear a familiar voice from behind me.

"Looks like it is you and I again, Vel." Tanwyn picks up her usual hefty sword and gives me a wide grin; I would like nothing more than to wipe that grin off her face. "Oh, stop looking so grumpy, it is an honor to train with me."

I had to admit she was right, Tanwyn was one of the best Valkyrie to ever exist, and probably the most beautiful too. Besides my cousin, Morrigan, Tanwyn was probably the most beautiful woman I have ever seen. Her chestnut hair flowed down to her hips when she was not wearing her usual braids, her green eyes were as bright as the grass during the day and--

"Hello?" Tanwyn snaps at me to hurry up and this time I do roll my eyes as I go pick up my swords-- my twin swords; Arktos and Carynth. I am the only trainee who prefers to use two swords over one sword and a shield. Most of the Valkyrie tell me that I am wrong and that I should put down a sword and pick up a shield, but they fail to realize I am able to create a shield with just my mind. 

We go into a sparring ring and Tanwyn smiles again, showing her perfect teeth as she begins to circle me. I follow her dance and go to attack first; she effortlessly dodges my attack and chuckles.

"Those Illyrians are teaching you too much of their bad habits, you get too clumsy." She points out, and I ignore her as I bring down Arktos, quickly meeting her sword, I twist and swing Carynth towards her unprotected side but her shield slams me in the face before I reach my target. I curse as I stumble back--I can feel the blood dripping from my nose already. I look to her in a bit of shock and she just shrugs her shoulders.

"After all this time and you still expect to be treated like some kind of Princess? It is an honor to train with the Valkyrie and you take advantage of that every chance you get." Razira spits from the side of the sparring ring and I soon notice there was a small crowd that had been watching us.

"Razira--" Tanwyn warns.

"No, Tanwyn, somebody needs to put her in her place. You train with her every single day when you have not even paid the slightest attention to our other new recruits, who actually deserve to be here." Razira keeps going and I just stare at her. I knew she disliked me, but I never knew how deep rooted her hatred had gone. Nobody has ever spoken to me this way, besides my father, and I accidentally let out a small giggle which seems to enrage her even more.