chapter 56

"Hi." I nervously say and Azriel smiles at me--his shadows dancing in the blue light.

"Hi." He responds back, "Happy Birthday."

"Thank you." I lean against the ledge as he walks closer to me--my stomach dropping with every step he takes towards me.

"This is for you." Az hands out the atrociously wrapped gift. I cannot but help but let out a snort and I cover my mouth with my hand to make sure I do not laugh anymore.

"You are one of the strongest Illyrian's to ever exist and you still cannot wrap a present correctly?" I ask--still laughing.

"I cannot be perfect at everything," He smiles broadly and raises his eyebrows, Az slowly pulls the gift away from me, "I can easily take it back."

"No!" I exclaim as I yank the gift from his hands--eager to see what it was. Azriel lets out a deep chuckle at the action that sends my shadows dancing. "Do you want me to open it now?"

"It is up to you--it requires going somewhere else and I know you love watching the stars so we can wait until later.

"Good." I smile as I hold the gift out and it disappears within my shadows--kept in a pocket of my powers until I want to open it. I hesitantly look away from him as I turn around and lean my elbows against the ledge to look up at the sky once again--admiring everything. "Where are the others?"

"Being their usual idiotic selves," Azriel leans against the balcony next to me, "They went to steal alcohol for tonight."

"Do they not know we are all old enough to just buy it?" I ask--still looking up at the stars.

"Where is the fun in that?" I notice out of edge of my vision him turn to look at me but I continue to admire the stars--much aware that he was looking at me. I make sure my breathing is steady as I try to ignore him still looking at me--admiring me.

"Stop that." I finally face him after a few moments.

"Stop what?" He asks with a smirk.

"You know what." I narrow my eyes at him and his eyes briefly look down to my lips and then back up to my eyes, "Stop it!"

"I am not even doing anything." He finally looks away up at the stars and it is my turn to admire him. The light blue light from the stars radiates off of his face and it makes his hazel eyes seem to glow in the dim light, my breath hitches as I take in--once again--how beautiful he is. He looks back down at me and raises an eyebrow.

"Stop that." He whispers, and I smile as I turn to look away from him but he stops me by lightly grabbing my chin and making me face him again. My face drops in fear as he looks at my face and butterflies form in my stomach at the touch of his hand on my face.

"You look beautiful tonight, Velaris." He says lowly and if it were not for the people on the surrounding balconies and inside--I would have kissed him--and then begin to do more.

"As opposed to every other night?" I ask instead.

"By now you should know the answer to that." Azriel says to me, and I do my best to think about something to say back to him that was not sarcastic--but I fail miserably.

"You do not look too shabby yourself." I immediately make a face after I say those words and he tilts his head back and laughs.

"Why are you nervous right now?" He asks as he takes his hand away from my face, I so desperately wanted him to keep it there.

"I am not nervous." I cross my arms. He just raises his eyebrows and looks to his shadows swarming around me. I shoo them away when I realize they were reporting back to him about what I was feeling. "They are more of a busybody than Cass."