Chapter 26

The next morning, I wake up before dawn and sneak down to the Temple of Nyx. I am afraid to find that bare wall there once more, but I am welcomed by the carved doors at the bottom of the stairs. I make my way over to the statue and gather as many of the white stones as I can.

"You do not mind if I borrow these, right?" I ask the statue, and I could have swore I saw a hint of a smile on the statue. I let out a nervous laugh as I quickly walk out of the temple. I hold the stones up and The House places them in a safe space, leaving me with just one that I place in my pocket. I make it through the first three hours of lessons and practically run to the library where I find Sigrun reading a book.

"I have a question." I say to her.

"I am assuming you believe me to have an answer." She says to me without looking up from her book.

"Do you know what this is?" I hold out the white stone in my hand, and she looks over to my hand slowly and practically jumps out of her chair when she sees what I am holding.

"Where did you get this from?" She asks me. She reluctantly takes the stone and observes it in her hand.

"I found it."

"You are not going to tell me where, are you?" Sigrun asks with an eyebrow raised and I just shake my head in response. "This is a Moonstone. It was used hundreds of years ago as an enhancer of one's powers--like the Illyrians use Siphons to control their powers--others would wear the Moonstone as a Siphon, and while it did help control one's powers like a Siphon--it also enhanced it."

"Why have I never heard of this before?" I ask.

"People would take advantage of this sacred stone and use it for malice." Sigrun is silent for a moment, squeezing the stone slightly, "It was often used in the Valkyrie ranks, for Valkyrie that had a lot of power. While it helped enhance one's power, it also drained the users--sometimes to the point of death."

"The Valkyrie?" I look to her in surprise, Tanwyn nor Kára have ever mentioned the Moonstone usage within the Valkyrie. Kára did mention once that Siphons were once used with powerful Valkyrie but never said a different material was used for them.

"Yes, many of the powerful Valkyrie were either killed off so power-hungry men could take the Moonstone from them or were forced to go into hiding so they were not killed." Sigrun tells me, so that would explain why there are no Valkyrie with powers beside strength and speed.

"How do you know all of this?" I ask her.

"I know many things, child. I have been around for a very long time." She places the Moonstone back into my hand.

"How long?"

"Longer than your High Lord, or the High Lord before him." She tells me and shivers go down my back at her words. I quickly thank her and head back to my rooms. I notice my door is cracked open and unsheathe a dagger I have sheathed under my dress as I push my door open slowly and find a familiar figure reading the book I was reading and laying on my bed.

"You actually enjoy this stuff?" Rhysand asks me. I huff an annoyed sigh as I sheathe my dagger and rip the book from his hands.

"Father let you come here?" I ask.

"Father does not know I am here. He is currently preparing the troops to begin marching." My brother sits up.

"Why are you not with him?" I ask.

"Because I am not leaving to go to war without you." He tells me, "And father also asked me to make sure things run smoothly here while he was away. 'Practice for the future High Lord' he said to me. Can you believe that?" Rhysand actually acts annoyed by that and I roll my eyes.