Chapter 2

"Rough night?" Rhysand asks from the doorway, and I turn to glare at him but he winnows into the seat next to me.

"Leave me alone, brother." I mumble as I sink deeper into the seat.

"Tanwyn sent word to keep watch over you, that you had lost control--"

"I did not lose control, Razira stabbed me--"

"Here." Azriel suddenly appears by my side with some bandaging and alcohol, whether to clean my wound or to drink I am not sure but I jump at his presence.

"Gods, Az." I calm my fastly beating heart, but I quickly thank him as I take the alcohol and bandaging. He smiles as though he is happy about the idea that he is able to scare me like he just did. I take a deep swig of the alcohol before pouring it over my quick healing wound. I wince as I try to place the bandage over it.

"Do you need help?" Azriel asks me quietly, I notice Rhys beginning to grab the bandage from me so I swat his hand away.

"No, thank you. I can do it." I say and take a deep breath before successfully placing the bandage over my wound, cursing as pain ripples down my side.

"I cannot stay for long." Az says to both me and Rhys.

"Let me guess, our father is using you to either spy on the other high lords or track Hybern's movements." I look up at him as I take another sip of alcohol and find his face unreadable--as always.

"You know I cannot inform you of what your father asks me to do." Az says slowly and Rhys lets out a low chuckle.

"Well I do not need you to confirm it, you are not the only Shadowsinger in this court." I point out.

"How could we forget? You are constantly reminding us, sister." Rhys picks up the book I was reading and makes a face when he reads the title. I snatch the book back from him and hold it against my chest.

"Have you heard from Cass?" I ask Az, and Rhys seems to become utterly still for a moment.

"He wrote to me about a week ago, he is doing just as fine as the last time you spoke to him. You know how he loves bossing around the younger Illyrians." Azriel says with a faint smile. Rhys and I both let out a chuckle.

"Oh, I know first-hand." I say, "Did you know Tanwyn said that you guys are teaching me your bad habits and that I am clumsy because of Illyrian training?"

"Illyrians have plenty of bad habits but I do not believe our fighting techniques are one of them." Rhysand swipes the alcohol from my hands as he takes a big gulp of it and makes a face.

"Well Illyrians tend to swing first and think later so I do believe the Valkyrie techniques are better." I say almost too proudly.

"A shame you got kicked out of training then." Az says smoothly, I look up at him and let out a surprised laugh, Rhys tilts his head back and laughs. I snap my head around to look at Rhys.

"Must you tell everyone my business?" I demand and Rhys just shrugs his shoulders while still laughing.

"I did not tell him."

"You are not the only Shadowsinger in this court, Velaris." Azriel smiles as I let out another laugh and then he disappears within his shadows. I smile at the image of him smiling, it brings me immense joy when Az seems happy--heis rarely ever in a good mood like that. I look to Rhys to try to read what he is thinking when suddenly I feel like I have traveled through a tunnel and I am looking at myself--through Rhysand's eyes-- I realize. I am quickly back in my own mind and let out a startled sound which makes my brother look over at me in concern. I stare wide eyed at him as I realize what I have just done.