Chapter 49

I blink as I open my eyes as I let them adjust to the darkness, I realize that I slept through the whole night when I see through the tent flap that dawn has approached--with no nightmares. I lean up in bed as I realize that the body that was next to mine when I fell asleep is no longer there. I sit there for a moment--remembering everything that had happened last night. Panic flows through me as my thoughts go through all the possible reasons why Az is not here.

He regrets it.

He must have woke up this morning and regretted everything that happened and just left. Of course he would regret it--most men use this as a distraction when they get ready to go to battle. Out of all the girls he could be with, why in all of Prythian would he choose someone like me. He deserved someone kind, and loving, and not messed up--I let out a groan as I fall back into his bed and place a hand over my face.

Someone begins to open the tent flap and I freeze as my eyes widen. I quickly winnow back into my tent, not wanting anyone to find me in Azriel's bed--naked.

"Where in the Mother's name were you?" I jump as Mor speaks from one of my chairs, she takes in the blanket I am still holding around me, and she notices I am not wearing any clothes underneath. "Velaris! In a war camp?"

"Do not say a word to anyone!" I whisper shout at her as I get up and find some clothes to put on, I motion for her to turn around while I change into my fighting leathers for now--knowing I will have to put on my armor later.

"Who was it?" She asks, giggling like a child, she lets out a gasp, "It was Helion, wasn't it!"

I whip around and shush her, her screaming was so loud and I did not want anyone to overhear it, even if it wasn't true, "Have you seen any of the boys?" I ask her but I really want to ask if she has seen Az but that would make it too obvious.

"The three of them went flying to scout earlier, I think they are all back now." Mor says, and my heart stops for a moment as I realize that it could have been Az that was returning to his tent, and I had left without saying anything. Now he might be the one thinking I was the one who regretted it--which I did not.

"I'll be back." I say and I walk out of the tent, hearing Mor's swearing behind me. I walk in Azriel's tent and freeze when I see Rhys, Cass, and Az all sitting down at the table, looking at a map. They all look up at me--Az raising his eyebrows at my entrance.

Do not be awkward.

"Hi." I say to them, and curse myself silently-- I need to stop doing that. Rhysand and Cassian look to each other in confusion as Azriel leans back in his chair--smiling to himself.

"Hi?" Rhys says back, more like a question.

"Did you need something, V?" Cass asks.

"No."

"Then why did you barge in here like that?" He crosses his arms as he observes me.

"I did not barge in!" I exclaim. "I was looking for everyone, and you nor Rhys were in your tents so I came here hoping to find everyone." I lie to them.

"Well, here we are." Rhys says, concern written in his eyes.

"Great."

He lifts his head up, his nostrils flaring as I realize he is sniffing-- oh gods. He is seeing if anyone's scent is intertwined with mine, "Stop that."

"I was just seeing if you accepted Helion's offer." Rhys says and Cass lets out a laugh as he nods his head in my direction.

"You see how flustered and red she is? Of course she took up his offer." He says, I watch in horror as Az chuckles as he looks back at the map and Rhys makes a gagging sound.

"I am not flustered!" I say--flustered.

"In a war camp?" Rhys demands, and I narrow my eyes at him.

"Oh, do not act like you would not do the same."

"I would never." Rhys says, and then he realizes what I just said, "So you did accept his offer--"

"So what did you guys find out while you were scouting?" I cut Rhys off and look to Cass who is still grinning me like a fool--as if he were proud at the thought of me sleeping with Helion. I wonder if he would still be proud if he found out whose bed I really occupied last night.

"I hope you did not use too much of your energy last night, V, because we will begin to battle the complete host of Hybern's army today." Cassian says.

"And will the King of Hybern be fighting amongst his men?" I try to not ask suspiciously.

"The coward will most likely not be fighting with his men but he will be overseeing the entire thing from higher ground--no doubt." Rhys says as he takes a sip of his drink.

"Interesting." I mumble to myself.

"Do not change the subject, V. Tell us about your night last night." Cassian says, "How was Helion in bed?"

"If you are so curious why do you not just go find out for yourself." I smirk at him and he lets out a laugh. "This is not a conversation we should be having right before a battle."

"You know Helion--" I cut Rhysand off when I hear his lecture voice.

"Alright I will see you guys in a bit!" I say as I quickly try to leave Azriel's tent.

Rhys begins to stand up to get me to stop, "I have to go get dressed, brother! I have to put my armor on." I take in all of them already in their full Illyrian armor, I run out of the tent before he can say anything else. I quickly enter my tent as I begin placing my armor on and strapping all of my weapons to me. I hold Tanwyn's white ribbon in my hand before tying it around my head--underneath where I plan to place the Valkyrie diadem. My breath catches as I take Tanwyn's shield in my hand and admire it for a long moment before I place it on my back.

What I plan to do on the battlefield--I am doing it all for her. And Kàra. And Razira. And the rest of the Valkyrie.

I sheathe Arktos and Carynth on my back atop of Tanwyn's shield. And I open the pouch that Kàra gave me before she winnowed me away and I smirk at the contents inside.