Chapter 14

"What?"

"We are going to rescue the Illyrian women that were sent there." Cassian says to me, and something in me breaks at that.

"But--"

"Father is attending a High Lords Meeting for the next few days to inform them of Hybern's plans, we have to act quickly and we have to do everything in our power to not get caught." Rhysand explains to me, and I run and hug him, he places his arms around me.

"Thank you." I say into his shoulder, I know they are not doing it just for me, but they would never understand what it is like to go through what those women go through, yet they will still risk everything to get them.

"We will need backup." Azriel points out and I grin as the plan unravels in my mind.

Rhys winnows us into the part of Hewn City that is under the mountain, where our first recruit is waiting for us—has probably been waiting for us for years. We quickly hide behind the side of a building as some guards walk down the street. I look to Az and nod, we both know the plan; stick to the shadows until we are able to sneak past everyone and into the room we need to get in. Rhysand and Cassian had argued that they would go with us but I had insisted that, without shadows of their own, they could easily be seen and blow our cover--so they will be on the lookout. Our shadows conceal us as we enter the building. We stick to the corners of the wall, it is dark enough that I know we are nearly invisible to anyone who would even look our way.

They are coming.

I freeze as my shadows warn me, Azriel bumps into the back of me and places his hands on my shoulders so I do not fall forward. I suck in a breath when two figures enter the doorway of the room.

"Inform my cousin that the darkbringers will be ready to fight alongside those unruly Illyrians, but we will not fight anywhere near those foolish girls that call themselves the Valkyrie." I hear a familiar voice that comes from one of the figures.

"Of course, Lord." The other figure says and walks away. The one figure turns the other direction but stops in his tracks. I hold my breath, and I can tell that behind me, Az does the same. He turns to look directly at us. I stare directly into his eyes, I do not know if he can sense us or not. My question is quickly answered a moment later when he turns around and walks away. I let out the breath I was holding and realize that Az's hands were still holding me in place, he realizes it too and quickly let's go. I do not look behind me as I begin walking up the stairs to our destination.

I smile as I see the golden-haired girl lounging on the chair, already smiling at us. I look at the orb in her hand, Veritas, and realize she already knew we were coming.

"It is about time you came to break me out of this shithole." My cousin, Morrigan, smiles.