Chapter 42

"How is Rhys?" Tanwyn asks when I winnow back into my tent, "I am sorry I did not stay, when you were passed out Cassian walked in the room with me and he just had that look on his face. I could not do it."

"I understand," I give her shoulder a squeeze in comfort, "He is fine, he is returning to battle. We should see him after we cross the valley."

"Good," She smiles to herself, "I am actually somewhat excited to fight beside other armies and courts."

"You are excited for the final battle?" I laugh.

"It is exciting, is it not?" She smiles a bright smile at me.

"Only if we win the war." I point out. Tanwyn opens her mouth to speak as my tent flap opens and Razira bursts through, I look to her in surprise.

"There was a caravan that stopped here while you were gone--they have been expecting you for the past few days." She says to me, and motions for me to follow her. Tanwyn and I walk from my tent and my heart drops as I take in the robed men and women sitting around a campfire, and I freeze as I see Priest Calan. Razira and Tanwyn stop when they notice I do, and look to where I am staring--the Priest is already making his way over to me.

"Velaris! It is so great to see you again." He smiles at me, and chills go through my body at the sound of his voice--at the memories they bring back. I feel for my hidden wings to make sure they are still there--and not torn from my body. Relief floods through me when I feel they are still there and that he has no power over me anymore. "What an interesting group of women you are."

"Thank you." Razira flashes a vicious smile at him.

"I did not mean that in a good way," He looks to her, "Maybe you women should spend some time with my daughters to return you on your righteous path." Calan waves over the four blonde girls I recognize from seeing them at the Spring Court, "These are my daughters, Amaryllis, Delphine, Cyris," He points to the three eldest girls who look to be older than me and then puts his hand on the youngest daughter with a smile, "And my youngest--Ianthe."

"I think we will pass on spending time with them," Razira crosses her arms, "We are in the middle of a world-altering war, in case you have forgotten Priest." Calan looks offended and opens his mouth to speak but Razira holds up her hand to cut him off, "We welcome all here, but we do not welcome zealots who come just to insult us and tell us we do not belong in this war because it was the High Lord who asked us to fight alongside them. What have you been doing to help in this war besides spewing your bullshit everywhere?"

I let out a surprised laugh at Razira's words and the look on Calan's face.

"Come girl, it seems we are not welcomed here." He says as he quickly turns around and begins to walk away. The three eldest daughters quickly follow him, but the youngest stares at us.

"I will pray for you." She gives us a polite smile.

"Please do," I respond, "I am sure the Gods will appreciate it."

Ianthe's eyes widen in shock and she stutters something before she quickly walks to catch up with her family. I smile at my own words, I knew the mentioning of the old Gods would horrify her--since they only believe in the Mother and the Cauldron, and it looks like I was right. I watch as they pack up their stuff and leave.

"They have been here the whole time I was away?" I ask Razira.

"Yes, we could not get them to leave," She turns to look from them and to me, "He wanted something from you, I do not know what but we do not tolerate outsiders harming any of the Valkyrie--so he was not welcome here."