Chapter 4

I wrap my fur coat around me tighter, as if that would stop the cold wind from the mountains from dancing over my skin. A revealing dress does not help with the cold, but that is what is expected of me to wear.

"The men in the camps will appreciate it." My father had said. I wanted to scream at him that I did not give a cauldrons damn what Illyrian men appreciate, but that would mean disrespecting my father, which would not end well for me.

I almost let out a snarl when I see the Camp Lords and I must have my disgust written on my face because Rhys nudges my arm. I turn to look at him but he is already shaking hands with the camp lords. My mother curtsies to them but I do not follow, I will never bow to these horrible men. I am not sure why my mother does either, seeing as though they were mere seconds away from clipping her wings.

"You should bring your daughter out more often, High Lord, the men are growing tired of looking at one others sweaty faces. She is a sight to behold in these camps." One lord says, I think his name was Barataz.

"Do you have plans for marrying her, High Lord? She is certainly past the age where she could have been wed by now, with all due respect." Another Lord asks. I think my mouth actually drops open at the fact that they speak as if I am not in front of them, let alone a Fae.

"My father will decide when I am to be wed when he is ready." I say behind gritted teeth. Although that is hardly what I wanted to say, I managed to speak for myself while also speaking well of my father, which he will appreciate. He looks at me with something I would imagine a proud father would look like. I rarely see that look on his face--even towards Rhys.

The lords completely ignore me and wait for my fathers answer, "Well you heard my daughter." He chuckles and they follow suit.

"Where is Cassian?" Rhys asks, sounding just like father. My heart skips a beat when I realize how close we are to him.

"Ah yes, my son's young Illyrian warrior friend, one of the most powerful in centuries, is that not right Lord Devlon?" My father asks the youngest lord in the room, although he still looks to be my fathers age.

"That might be a bit of an exaggeration, but yes he is the most powerful Illyrian in my camp currently." Lord Devlon bows his head, and something like proudness runs through me. I smile a little and look to Rhys and Az, both of whom are not smiling, but I can tell in their eyes that they feel the same way as I do.

I begin to observe all the wings in the room, the lord's wings are not nearly as big as my mothers, Rhysand's, or Azriel's. Now that I observe all of them, I see that Azriel has the biggest wingspan, besides mine. Currently I have mine hidden, like Rhys usually does, but he has them out for all the camp lords to see currently. I would wear mine proudly, but I had a fear that if I had mine out, they would try to clip them. Az notices me observing him and I give him a wink before looking away.

The Lords speak with my father as Lord Devlon approaches Rhys and shakes his hand, he does not even look to Azriel or me. He tells Rhysand where Cassian is, and my brother begins to walk away. Azriel follows and I look to my mother to see if she will allow me to go with them, she gives me a smile and places a hand on my back as she leads me out with her. We walk a few tents down and Cassian is already standing outside, arms crossed and grinning like a fool. He embraces Rhysand and then Azriel. It takes all my restraint not to go running to him.

"Go ahead." My mother says softly, with a smile still on her beautiful face.

I run over to him and he opens his arms as I run into them.

"I think you've grown a few inches since the last time I saw you, V" He says as I break away from our hug. I make a face and pinch him in his arm.

"You saw me a few months ago, Cass, stop being dramatic." I tell him. "And stop treating me like I'm a child."

"You are."

"I am only two years younger than you!" I proclaim and he just raises his eyebrows at me. I huff a sigh. In human years that would not even be a week younger than him. I reached full maturity 12 years ago, yet he still acts as if I am the same eight year old he met two decades ago.

"Cassian, nice to see you again." My Father's voice makes me freeze and realize I should not have hugged Cassian.

"It is wonderful to see you, and your family, again, High Lord." Cassian bows his head and my father grins wickedly at him. He shakes his hand and grips his arm, I can tell it is a strong grip by the way Cassian's face slightly flinches.

"I do have a mission for you in the upcoming days, and Velaris." My father says, I snap my attention back to him with wide eyes.

"Me?" I ask, again.

"I would like you to go with Cassian to the Valkyrie training camps, although I do not even approve of their existence, they will be vital to the war and we need them to fight alongside the Illyrians. Cassian is new and none of the Valkyrie know him so they cannot hate him, all you have to do is be quiet and stand next to him, I am sure having a woman with him will help." My father explains, I stop a laugh from escaping my lips; if only he knew that my presence there will most likely do the complete opposite. The fact that he is letting me go anywhere near the camps--hope fills my body, maybe one day he will actually approve of me being a Valkyrie.

Before I can think, I swing my arms around him in a hug. I feel him go rigid beneath my touch and I release him from my hug when he does not return it--

"I am sorry-- I will do my best to help Cassian convince them."

"Cassian will do all of the convincing, you just need to sit there and look kind." My father says before walking away, my hope fleeing with him. Cassian embraces my mother who says something too softly for me to hear, but it makes him smile. She pulls away and places a kiss on his cheek before walking to follow my father into their tent.

Rhys, Cass, and Az begin speaking to one another as I feel the Illyrian males eyes on me, and I try to wrap the coat around me even tighter but that does not seem to tear their gaze from me.

Hell with it.

If they want something to stare at, I will give them something to stare at. I drop my jacket to the floor and remove the heels I was also forced to wear. I feel many more eyes turn to me as the black dress that is hardly more than three pieces of cloth stitched together is fully revealed—revealing most of my body too.

"What in the hell are you doing?" Cassian asks.

"My job, apparently." I snarl, and the three of them look at me as if seeing for the first time what I was brought here to do—not to show the united family bullshit my father spewed—but as an offer to the Illyrian males. My stomach drops as I realize it too.

"Do not leave our side while you are here—"

"I can handle myself, Brother. I have for years." I cut him off and as if right on queue, an Illyrian man approaches me, fully ignoring the death glares from the three males behind me. He places a hand on my arm as if getting ready to take me somewhere, and before the three males behind me can react, I punch him in the nose as hard as I can. He stumbles back, swearing, as he holds his nose. I smile as he practically runs away as blood gushes out of his nose. I look back to Rhys, Cass, and Az with my eyebrows raised, wanting them to say something. Cass just lets out a laugh and slaps me lightly on the back.

"Oh, how I have missed you, V." He says, "Lets go get ready for this meeting."