Chapter 10

I awaken to a pinching sensation in my arm and open one of my eyes to see a very angry Cassian face, I groan and face the other way.

"If you were not hurt, I would drag you out of bed and kick your ass." He says, and I turn to face him once more.

"I think I have gotten my ass beat in the past few days to last a lifetime, Cass." I point out, "And I thought we had learned with the Valkyrie that I can easily beat your ass--"

"I was distracted." Cass says before standing up and sits down in one of Az's chairs across from me, I see a smile play on Az's lips from across the room where he seems to be putting food on plates for us.

"Mhm, sure." I say, but I know he was right. I will admit that Cassian can fight just a tad bit better than me, but he was too distracted by Tanwyn to focus.

"My father has not sent for me?" I ask either one of them, but I look to Az, he just shakes his head. So my father left me in an Illyrian camp, knowing how the males treat the women here. He was most likely thinking I would be taught another lesson, but I think he still fails to realize that I could take on five Illyrians at the same time. I know Cass and Az will not let me out of their sight here, that is why Az made me sleep in his tent last night, on his bed. Where he slept, I do not know--I fell asleep before I could offer he could sleep beside me, The Gods knows this bed was big enough to fit both of us, even Cass if he wanted to sleep in it too. I smile at the image at the three of us trying to sleep in the same bed--someone would end up getting stabbed.

"Did you think I would not be able to handle the same punishment?" Cass asks, and I want to laugh at the fact he seems offended I saved him from the same fate as me.

"Gods, no Cass. I know very well that you would have been able to handle it, but you do not deserve it--"

"And you did?" He rebukes.

"I should have known better--"

"I was supposed to guard you and I did not even notice there was a gods damned spy there." Cassian's voice breaks, and something in my heart breaks along with it. I did not even think he would blame himself for what happened, but of course he does.

"Cass, I do not blame you for--"

"Why did he stop?" Cass asks.

"What?"

"Why did he stop me from receiving the punishment?" He repeats himself. My heart flutters for a moment, I did not think anyone else noticed that my father went back on his word. Az's full attention is on us now, and I know he had to notice it too.

"I-I do not know--"

"Bullshit, Velaris. We both know I should have been whipped right alongside you." Cass says, now leaning forward, waiting for an explanation. I want to tell them so badly the new power I have discovered, but if word got back to my father, he would rip my wings right from my back just like in those visions that Priest put in my head. A chill runs through me at the memory. 

"You can tell us, Velaris." Az says from the far side of the room, his shadows seem to dance in anticipation of what I am about to say. They, without a doubt, have informed him that I was withholding information. 

Snitches. I wanted to say to them, but I know my shadows would have done the same.

"I am a daemati." I say aloud, still not fully believing my own words. Cass swears as Az's eyebrows raise. "I-I did not know I was until just a few days ago, and I still do not know how to fully control or understand this power."

"Have you been inside my mind?" Cass asks, seeming terrified, and I let out a laugh.

"By the cauldron, no." I laugh again, "I would never want to be inside that filthy place." Cass narrows his eyes at me and Az chuckles, I am glad Az did not ask the same question because I do not think I would be able to lie to him.