Chapter 33

I find Rhysand and my mother sitting her rooms, and they both jump up at the sight of me. Rhys practically runs over and hugs me, and my mother comes over to hug both of us. "You guys are acting like I was sent off to die." I mumble into Rhysand's chest as they were both squeezing me to death.

"Well you were acting like it." Rhys points out as he pulls away.

"How was your stay there, darling?" My mother hands me a cup of tea and I take it as I sit down to tell them about everything I saw when I was there. I left out the part of my scheming--not wanting it to get back to my father.

"And have you ever seen a butterfly?" I ask in excitement and Rhysand and my mother look at one another in confusion.

"Of course we have--" Rhys cuts himself off when he sees my smile, "Was this your first time seeing one?"

"Yes!" I laugh at the memory, "There were so many, off all different colors!"

"It seems like you had a wonderful time." My mother says with a small smile.

"I guess I did," It was not a horrible experience but the best part was how my plan worked out perfectly, "Tamlin's mother is lovely."

"She is a very kind lady." My mother says as she drinks her tea, my eyebrows raise when I notice the tone in her voice--a tone I rarely ever hear from her. I do not ask why my mother said those words like that.

"Cassian and Azriel?" I ask Rhysand.

"Cassian is still in the camps, and Azriel is on a mission." He tells me, my excitement fades when I realize neither Cass or Az are here to welcome me back. "Father is also leaving for a month as they move the troops."

"A month?" I say, too excitedly and my mother scolds me but I cannot help it.

"Yes, and since you did such an excellent job at impressing the Spring Court he said he does not feel the need to keep you shielded in anywhere." Rhys says with a huge grin on his face. "He leaves tonight but wants to have a small ball to celebrate your engagement before he leaves without the Spring Court's presence."

"I left a dress for you in your rooms. You better start getting ready." My mother throws me a wink and I let out a shriek of excitement as I plant a kiss on her cheek before running to my rooms. I open my door and my heart drops when I see the beauty of the dress that my mother has made--it was the black version of Rhysand's future mates' starfall dress--the one she was making before I changed the color of it. She must have made another version of it just for me. I look in awe as I notice the sheer black glittering cape connected by two golden butterflies to the back of the shoulders of the dress. I let out a gasp when I see the butterflies--how she managed to add them so quickly or knew I would come back from the Spring Court in love with butterflies I did not know--but I loved it.

"We want to help!" Nuala and Cerridwen come running into my rooms, and they hug the lower part of my body. I let out a laugh when they start grabbing various powders and brushes. I allow them to put powders on my face and apply rogue to my lips and cheeks. I sit on the chair in front of the vanity and begin to turn my head to look at myself.

"Stay still, Velaris!" Nuala grabs both sides of my head so I cannot turn it, I laugh as I promise I would not do it again. Cerridwen grabs a dark powder and places it gently on my eyelids, and traces kohl around my eyes and atop of my eyelashes.

"Those girls in the Spring Court made you look foolish." She says and Nuala nods her head in agreement, I laugh at how serious they are for children.

"I agree." I say, and they finally allow me to turn to look at myself. I laugh in surprise when I see my face actually looks good, and that these two children did that. For the most part, they left my face bare but highlighted most of my features--mostly my eyes. Happiness runs through me when I notice my violet eyes practically glow against the kohl outlined around them. They run over to my dresser and grab something--hair combs I realize. They push the front of my hair back out of my face and place the two golden combs right above both of my ears--my smile grows as I realize tiny golden butterflies make up the majority of the hair comb, while the rest of my dark curled hair falls down my back with loose tendrils framing my face.