Chapter 3

I awaken to children's laughter and jump up in my chair as I take in my surroundings. I look down and see the book I was reading still open in my lap, I must have fallen asleep while reading it-- not a surprise. Even though it is interesting to read a book written from one of Bryaxis's kind, it is awfully boring, even though it is incredibly helpful. I look around for the source of the laughter and find two shadows playing on the stairs. I smile as I winnow in front of them and they let out a set of screams.

"Nuala, Cerridwen, you two woke me up from my nap." I say as they return to their, somewhat, Fae forms.

"We are very sorry, Lady Velaris." They both say in unison, like they were taught to. I let out a sigh as I sit next to them and they both smile at me.

"Now we talked about this-- when nobody is around, you may call me whatever you like." I tell them, like I had multiple times over the past few years. It is important that they behave when others are around, or they are at risk for being sent back to wherever they have come from, which I still do not know where that is. My father had gifted them to my mother as a solstice present about ten years ago. She had declined originally--not wanting to tear the twins from their family. My father told her that the mother did not want the pair of them and he thought they would make wonderful spies for the night court when they come of age, which was not any time soon. I would not be surprised if their mother giving them up was a lie and he stole them away from their family. My mother happily has taken them under her wing.

"We heard a story about a scary monster who lives down below in the library." Nuala says and Cerridwen looks at me wide eyed. I chuckle, and grab both of their hands. I keep myself from letting a shiver go down my back at the coldness in their touch. They have no warmth.

"That is why you should not be playing by yourselves near there." I point out and they look at each other before looking back at me.

"We are not alone, you are here." Cerridwen retorts.

"And you are lucky I was--" I pick her up and swing her around-- "Or else that monster would have come and ate you for lunch."

They both let out giggles and run ahead of me. I pass servants and members of the court as they barely pay me any mind, not even glancing my way. I notice the difference from when Rhys and I are walking together; they all stop to give him a small bow before continuing their walk. He never really seems to notice it, but I do. I follow Nuala and Cerridwen, mostly because they are likely going to my mother, and I want to see what she is doing. They run into one of my mother's rooms and I see dresses of all styles and colors hanging up throughout the room. I smile as I take in their beauty and then my smile fades and turns into a frown when I notice these dresses are not for me.

"Stop making that face, Velaris, I have made you hundreds of dresses that you do not even wear." My mother chirps from her seat, and I give her a wicked grin. Of course I have always worn the dresses she makes for me, but I hardly like to wear the same dress twice.

"You never make clothes for my future mate." I point out, and she stops her stitching to look up at me.

"I somehow doubt your mate would like to wear dresses." She says, and I cross my arms.

"My mate could easily be a female." I say, knowing that is very rare but I would not mind in the slightest.

"Then she can also wear these dresses." My mother smiles as she begins her stitching again. I notice the black sparkling dress in her hands, the beading is exquisite, and I realize she must be making it for a certain event. "What is that one for?"

"Her first Starfall here with us." She replies quickly.

"How do you know she does not already live within the Night Court?" I ask and my mother just shakes her head.