Chapter 30

"So you're the runt of the Spring Court?" I ask Tamlin and his smile fades as he looks to Rhysand with one eyebrow raised. Rhys lets out a nervous laugh.

"You can see she is very straightforward." Rhysand says while giving me a look that says be nice to him. I shoot him a look back that says he looks like he is getting ready to piss himself out of fear.

"It is lovely to finally meet you, Velaris." Tamlin says as he bows his head to me.

"I wish I could say the same about you--" Rhysand nudges my arm as I correct myself, "I just wish it was under better circumstances is what I mean."

"Ah, yes. You will find Tallisan is quite difficult to deal with." Tamlin laughs and Rhys follows--there must be an inside joke about his brother--Tallisan.

"Let me guess, your other brother's name also begins with a T?" I ask with a smirk.

"Yes--his name is Toran." Tamlin responds.

"How original." I mumble and Tamlin lets out a surprised laugh.

"You are even worse than your brother." He says and I smile at the boldness of his words.

"That is quite the compliment, thank you." I smile a smile that I know some men fall to their knees when they see.

I feel Rhysand's presence at my shields and I drop them, Are you flirting with him?

No. I make a face at his assumption. The fact that he would think I would flirt with him makes me offended.

You are marrying his brother--

I am not marrying his brother. Also, I am just making friendly conversation. I throw a smile at Rhys as Tamlin looks between us and realizes we are speaking to each other silently. They begin speaking to each other once more--catching up with their lives. I carefully observe Tamlin as he speaks to my brother and a part of me wonders what it would be like to have friends outside of the Night Court. Considering my father never lets me leave--I do not have a single friend in a different court. My shadows also observe Tamlin and do not report anything suspicious back to me. I think if my brother trusts him--than I can trust him. Rhysand has never been wrong with choosing friends before--I look to Azriel who is now standing in the corner as he observes the entire ballroom. I begin to say something to him when a staff bangs near the throne's and I turn to face the High Lord of the Spring Court as he announces to his people Tallisan and I's engagement. My heart drops into my stomach when the High Lord asks me to come up as he congratulates me and his eldest son. I quickly walk up the stairs to stand next to Tallisan--who does not even look at me.

"And a toast!" The High Lord of the Spring Court shouts as he raises up his glass, "To the union between the Spring Court and the Night Court!"

Everybody raises their glasses up as they congratulate us. I look back to Tallisan who is looking happily into the crowd--happy the attention is on him my shadows tell me.

"It is nice to meet you, Tallisan." I attempt to be nice and speak to him but he does not even look towards me. Annoyance rises through me but I push it back down as I clear my throat so he will look towards me. He slowly turns his head to face me and looks me up and down.

"Do not speak unless spoken to, woman." He says and I let out a laugh that seems to make him even more angry.

"I'll speak whenever I please, male." I give him a pretty smile and I can practically see the smoke coming from his head. I walk away before he can say anything else. I see my father and walk over to him.