Chapter 23

Azriel was my mate.

And they were about to take away his ability to fly.

"Do not touch him." I growl, and I manage to lift myself up so that I am now kneeling instead of lying on the ground. I look to the guards holding Cass and Rhys, he was even going to punish Rhys, his own son. "Do not touch any of them."

My father looks wide eyed at me as I push through his demands in my head.I knew he was in there, I could sense him in there and I completely pushed him and his orders out.

"Move one more step and I will do more to him than just clip--"

I erupted.

Violet power and shadows erupted for me. The whole room became filled with darkness. I know Rhys must have thrown up a shield around our family and get them out of harms way. I felt nothing but rage consume me. My father was thrown off of his throne by my power and now has his shield up around him as he lay on the ground fighting against my power. I scream as I use my power to rip his shield apart--all I can see is violet and darkness and I let it consume me. I feel his shield fall to shreds and then I feel his body and his mind--I feel his fear. I do not care what he feels and I push my power harder against him and I hear him screaming but I do not stop--not even as soldiers come charging at me. They are blown back by my power, and I feel them being flung back and thrown against the walls of the room.

"Velaris." I hear a familiar voice far, far away.

"Velaris." The voice comes closer and then I feel a familiar hand on my shoulder. Rhysand. My brother.

"Velaris, control it. Remember the Valkyrie training." He says softly.

I close my eyes and I take three deep breaths.

In. Out. In. Out. In. Out.

I keep my breathing steady and focus on the sounds around me--the shuffling of feet as court members quickly exit the throne room, I hear pained breathing coming from my father, I hear a heartbeat beating very fast. I let the sounds fade away as I take in my physical body; my head is in blinding pain, as is my chest and stomach and hips and legs. Every part of me hurts--physically and mentally.

What have you done? I ask myself. I send the thought away.

I breathe in, breathe out. Breathe in, breathe out. Breathe in, breathe out.

I do not know how long I do this for but when I open my eyes, all of my power is contained and my heartbeat is back to normal. I look around me--to the empty throne room--at my father laying on the floor and struggling to control his breathing. Azriel runs over to Cassian who must have been injured at some point during my loss of control with my power. My eyes widen as I see blood dripping from Cassian's nose, and he must notice my stare because he looks up at me. He gives me a small smile and waves his hand signaling he was okay. I do not dare look over to Azriel.

"Come on, Velaris, we need to go--" My brother is cut off by my fathers laughter. I turn to my father in shock and see him smiling broadly at me. He walks down to me and throws his arm around me.

"Finally! I have been waiting for your powers to reveal themselves to you. What a fine bride you will be to a powerful ally." I cringe as my father embraces me, "The suitors will be lining up for you! What powerful heirs you will make--"

I cringe even more when I realize that what I feared most has come true--my father has discovered my powers and now wants to marry me off to make himself more powerful. I do not know if I must be obliged to be thankful that he does not seem to want to clip mine or anybody else's wings anymore--selling me off to the highest bidder may be worse than having my wings clipped.

Or it could be the best thing to happen to me--as Cass had said.

My father orders to have the guards take me to my room and I do not fight against them as they reluctantly take my arms and guide me to the doors. I look to Rhysand who goes over to help Cassian off the ground, I watch as I pass them and mouth I am sorry to Cassian who just gives me a bloody smile in return.

I summon the courage to glance at Azriel and find him staring at the guards holding me--I notice his gaze goes to their hands on my arms and I realize he is making sure they are not hurting me.

I am okay. I mouth to him--even if it is a complete lie. He nods once but does not tear his stare from mine as I am taken from the throne room. I see my mother run down the hall and she lets out a sob when she sees me. She pushes through the guards in front of me and grabs my face.

"Are you okay? What--"

"I will be okay." I lie again to her, and watch her shake her head--tears gleaming her eyes.

"What did they do to you, darling?" My mother asks me, and she looks to the wounds on my wings and winces.

"We must take her to her rooms, the High Lord demanded it--" My mother cuts off one of the guards speaking.

"She is my daughter." She says with such power in her voice that the guards do not speak against her anymore. She pushes their grip off of me and takes my hand as she walks me to my rooms--the guards one step behind us at all times. We quickly find my father standing in front of my doors--his arms folded over his chest.

"Pack your things, Velaris. You are going to be re-taught your lessons on your Lady etiquette at the House of Wind." My father says to me, my mother seems to squeeze my hand even harder.

"Why?" I slowly ask him.

"Well, your manners need to be worked on and considering the amount of power you hold--you will most likely be wed to another high lord's strongest son, so you will be the Lady of that court." He explains to me.

Lady--not High Lady.

Chills goes down my body when realization settles in that this will not be my home for much longer.