Chapter 13

No.

I look to Rhys, and the tears streaming down his face.

"Take me back!" I scream at him, and he just shakes his head, I scream it over and over again until my voice is hoarse.

"He will cut off your wings--" I cut Rhys off.

"I do not give a fuck about my wings! They are our people, and they will be tortured and forced to-- oh gods." I fall to the ground at the thought of what they will go through, there were children there--little girls. I try to winnow, but a shield has been put around my room.

No no no no no.

I think I say the word over and over again.

"Go get them!" I scream at him, a and I keep repeating myself but I do not care. Rhysand wraps his arms around me so I stop rocking back and forth. But I hit his chest, his legs, anywhere I can reach. "Go get them! Go get them!"

Darkness erupts out of me, and that Illyrian magic that I possess, darkness consumes the room and there is only violet light within my powers. I scream and scream as I let my magic consume me. Rhys places a shield around him as he tries to calm me.

"It is a price he must pay to trick the King to believe we are on his side--"

"He is not paying the price!" I shout, "Those innocent women and children are."

"Sacrifices must be made during war--"

"What do you know about sacrifice, brother?" I let out a laugh through my tears but the darkness fades and Rhys comes to hold me again.

"I wish I could save them, Velaris." He whispers, and I just continue to silently cry as he holds me. I do not know how long we sit there for, and I do not know when I fell asleep but I awaken in my bed, my face still wet from the tears and my back still healing from the lashes. I sit up and find Rhys sleeping on the floor next to me, something tugs in my heart at that. I lay back down, falling asleep right away.

I hear whispers and am not sure if I am dreaming or not as I open my eyes and see three figures speaking on my balcony. It takes me a moment to realize it is Rhys, Az, and Cass speaking. I slowly get out of bed and use my shadows to conceal myself as I sneak onto the balcony. I notice Azriel's shadows floating in my direction, but they never alert him that I am there, and I smile.

"What are you guys talking about?" I ask as my shadows disappear behind me. They all jump at the same time and Cass swears. Az looks at his shadows, almost insulted they did not warn him that I was there. Rhys observes me for a moment, and I can tell he is making sure I am stable before he speaks.

"We are going to Hybern."