Chapter 5

I winnow both Cassian and I into the Valkyrie camps. They were expecting us from my fathers' message to them days ago. I quickly use my powers to change from my dress into my fighting leathers. Cass jumps at my sudden use of powers and throws a a glare my way. "I do not think I will ever get used to that." He says and I let out a chuckle. I stop before the General's tent.

"What's wrong?"

"I had a little fallout—"

"Oh I know, Rhys already told me about that. Good job by the way" He pats me on my back and I lower my brows at him and he lets out a chuckle. "Sometimes they need to get their ass kicked, if you put me in a training ring with the Valkyrie, I could teach them a few things." He winks at me, and I elbow him in the ribs.

"Every single one of them could kick your ass, including me." I reply and he just raises his eyebrows at me as I open the tent flap and walk in. I have only been in here once before many years ago when I first began training here in secret, and it is just as opulent as I remember. Some sort of magic keeps the tent heated and the inside consists of dark purple walls and golden accents. The general, Kára, sits at her golden desk in her golden chair.

"Welcome back, Velaris. And welcome, Cassian." She says, she looks much older than my father, but she is nearly just as powerful. Her grey hair is braided back, and she wears white fighting leather and the Valkyrie diadem atop of her head. I feel a pang of jealousy, knowing I will probably never receive one.

"Thank you for seeing us, General Kára." Cassian tips his head as he did for my father, she lets out a chuckle.

"You would be the first Illyrian to see me as a true general, but you are still young, they have not corrupted you enough yet." Kára pours us a glass of something--wine by the looks of it.

"Oh he is plenty corrupted, just not by the Illyrians." I say under my breath, Cassian gives me a nasty stare while Kára laughs.

"I have missed your presence, Velaris. I heard of your little spectacle the other night." She replies with her eyebrows raised, I flinch and she motions for us to sit down, I do not argue.

"I do apologize for that. I am taking time to control myself— and my powers." I cannot look her in the eye to see her reaction but I hear Cass let out a snort beside me.

"Cass—"

"What do you find funny, Illyrian?" Kára asks.

Great.

"Well one of your recruits stabbed her, and she rightfully fought back but yet Velaris is the one being punished—"

"Do not speak of what you do not know, boy. Razira was punished for her actions and will not ever do anything like that again. Velaris was sent away for her own safety—" Kára looks to me and continues "You have an enormous amount of power that is rare amongst Valkyrie. There will be many who will be jealous and try to prove they are better than you, no matter what." Kára observes Cassian's hands, where his red siphons gleam. "You should look into getting her some of those."

"Siphons?" Cassian asks.

"I know what Siphons are, boy, we had Valkyrie use them too. We have not had a Valkyrie with that great amount of power in a very long time." Kára's eyes seem to darken as if she were remembering something—or someone. "Velaris seems to have trouble controlling all of her power. Look into getting her one or multiple."

"That would be a difficult task, considering—"

"The High Lord--yes I know how he can be." Kára takes a deep sip of her wine. "Tell me, why is it that he sent an Illyrian bastard and his daughter he considers useless to speak to us about war?"