The encounter

Taehyung woke up feeling antsy that morning.

He checked the small wall clock in his cottage and frowned when the clock struck only 4:30 before sunrise. It still wasn't time to rise yet but for some reason the investigator felt his senses heighten.

He threw off the covers from his stuffy single bed and piled out, deciding to just clock in for work earlier than usual. It wasn't like there was going to be an issue taking charge. The department was always in need for more night shift officers anyway.

Over the past year, Seonchang's police department had undergone quite some changes. The former head constable had retired and was now replaced by Officer Min, his nephew. The same cop who hadn't hesitated in giving Taehyung up to the mafia's intimidation.

The brunet didn't want to think about that anymore.

But given the circumstances, Taehyung had still fought and risen through every odd and ebb, moving on to the prove himself worthy of being called 'the best' in the department. His co-officers were now his subs and even the usually cocky Officer Min looked up to him. Sort of.

In short even though the boss was someone else, Taehyung's word stood in the department.

The brunet finished dressing up in his usual stark white uniform and tucked the gun in it's holster before making his way to work. As soon as he entered, everyone looked up, some even standing to their feet and greeting him with short bows. Taehyung always returned them because he was civilized like that.

He walked into the small office allotted to junior investigators but mostly used by him and plopped on the nice chair, instantly flipping through the file on the table, getting to work

Fifteen minutes later, Hansul showed up at his doorway and seeked permission to come in, Taehyung nodding with a warm smile.

"You know you don't have to ask that everytime. You're free to walk in and out as you please."

"Im also free to show you how much respect you deserve hyung." Hansul blushed when Taehyung rolled his eyes playfully at him.

"What's the matter?"

"Officer Min asked for you."

Taehyung sighed in response but got up anyway, following the younger into the biggest cabin of the small station.

"You wanted to see me, Sir?"

Officer Min shot up from his seat, almost dropping his phone that he been so busily playing bubble shooter in.

"Tae-Taehyung!! Wow good morning, look at you up and so early to work!!" He laughed nervously at the juniors. Taehyung passed him a bored look while Hansul visibly rolled his eyes.

"The work sir, you asked for me." The brunet reminded him and the old man quickly nodded with an 'oh'.

"I want you to complete checking all this casefiles for me." Min said, handing a huge pile of binded notes to Taehyung, who nearly stumbled from the weight.