What you got to do

Face as white as paper, words refused to leave Emma's mouth, clenching her hand against her chest with desperation in her eyes as she stared at the shattered smile of her friend.

A smile that no longer eased Emma.

A smile that masked truth and disregarded lies.

A smile that worried their siblings.

A smile that became far too natural.

A smile that scared Emma.

"...I see" Y/n said, looking over her shoulder "Sorry, Emma. I scared you. I thought that..." She added, starling Emma.

Why, why was Y/n acting like that? Where was the Y/n who comforted her in her worst times? The girl who was reckless just enough to be an ally to Emma but just careful enough to keep her alive?

"You're a good girl Emma, ask Anna for some tea leaves and drink some, go rest for a bit and relax. Let's go back to just being friends tomorrow."

The girl Emma swore to protect along with her family and friends, or she who's smile appeared to be the aid to her sorrows each time she saw it?

Deep down, the orange haired girl knew that it had all been but a façade, one that became clear to her the night the shelter was destroyed. Then why? Why did it hurt so much to see that mask's cracks?

Why couldn't she be glad that her friend was finally showing how she "truly" felt? Why did words refuse to leave her mouth? Why couldn't she reassure her friend like she had always reassured her?

The silence that Emma gave the girl in reply became the answer that none of the words that could eventually leave her mouth.

—Days earlier—

Three days had passed since the cattle children began their adventure to the lion's jaw. It was safe to say that most of them were worn out and tired, and rightly so.

Their pace was worst than Ray, Y/n, or even Emma thought. However it was nothing but the realism of their situation as they no longer were traveling in a group of seven, but were accompanied by 55.

The fact that many of those children were still but kids did not take away pressure either.

Gathering food, finding a safe place to sleep, it was all much more complex in their current situation, and to top it all, the stress was affecting them.

All of them.

The fear of those cameras meant they could relax even for a second, as if now even fauna had became their enemy.

They decided to finally rest and separate in search of food due to their lack of nourishment.

"We'll go look for some more. You all stay here!" Emma said, agreeing with Y/n proposition of going to look for wild berries and plants in general to refill their current medical supplies.

They were about to turn around before they heard the You her kids call out for them, "Please let us help find food this time!" Mark asked.

***

Y/n stared at an unfamiliar plant with long, wavy greenish leaves uneasily. "Hm, I don't think I have seen this ones before... let's stay away from them just in case—" Y/n murmured to be interrupted by Jemima, "No, wait! Those are snake plants, right Anna? You showed them to me the other day!" She said as she called the blond girl over.

Anna nodded with a shy smile as she moved towards them. "Yeah..! They are plants in the family Asparagaceaga native to West Africa, they help with headaches, respiratory problems, and eye irritation. I'm surprised you don't know it, Y/n" Anna explained, smiling at the older girl.