Infiltrating the cage

The longer they stared sorrowfully at Christy's state, the more explicit it became that not sneaking into the line farm the two newcomers spoke about would only result in the boy's demise.

"Let's get going. If we leave right now, we can be back before sunset. Let's save him." Hayato told everyone, especially targeting Emma, whose agony was cruelly visible. The gloomy atmosphere that filled the group appeared to have a chokehold on everyone, and if it weren't for their shortage of time, would have been able to flood their train of thought for far longer than the few seconds of mourning they allowed.

"Is it really okay?"
"There's no other option..."
"It's what's best for Chris... but it's still a plantation, you know?"

Emma didn't look up for a few more seconds, Y/n was able to spot with the corner of her eyes that her knuckles had turned white from the pressure her grip held them with, before looking up at Hayato with determination overshadowing the now glimpse of the sorrow she gave off less than a minute.

"I'm going. Please lead the way." She stated. Placing her fist against her chest in a determined manner. Gilda's eyes widened before calling out the ginger's name, only getting a head shake in return.

"We only need medicine. We should keep the group small. Quick in, quick out." Emma explained, earning Hayato's agreement.

She turned to look at Jin while wrapping Christy's unconscious body properly with the blanket that was supposed to at least keep him somewhat warm. "Jin, please stay here. If the worst comes to worst, don't wait until nightfall. Take everyone to Minerva's place." The young teen nodded, "Roger, ma'am!"

"You still should take one more person." Y/n finally spoke up, looking at everyone yet at no one specifically. A void opened in her stomach, "Not me though. I'm hurt, and if one of my wounds were to open at the wrong time, the smell could alert the demons." I'm no longer the best choice. "It's better if I stay here and help regulate Christy's temperature." I don't even know what type of medicine to look for. She felt her hands tremble, it wasn't like the idea of someday reaching a road block of her knowledge in medicine never occurred to her.

Why does not being the best option hurt so much?

Emma nodded in agreement, yet didn't meet Y/n's eyes. "Zack, can I ask for your help with this?" "Of course."

Another voice jumped in though, a blank stare appeared on (e/c) eyes followed by brows furrowing and a smile she told herself was a proud one crept in.

Anna stepped forward with a hand on her chest. "Emma, Y/n. Let me go instead... Please." She requested, grabbing almost everyone by surprise. "Huh?!" Thoma let out followed by Lanni's "Anna?!"

Ray, too, looked at the blonde in shock. His already pale face could almost be described as translucent.

Anna looked at Y/n, "You realize it too, right? The most rational choice is to leave Zack here. For Christy's sake, and not only his... What if something happens to Dominic? And as you've stated, you are still wounded; even if they aren't relatively serious, you still haven't gotten your strength back." Y/n looked down in understanding, she pushed out a sheepish smile and mumbled "There's a difference between thinking it and being told so..."

Anna looked at her next target to convince, " What if demons or the Ratri clan attack with everybody crowded like this together? Zack is the one with the most experience, battle power, and skill in dealing with them out of the two of us..." Zack spoke up yet didn't appear to be having an argumentative stance, "Sandy is equally good, too." He pointed out, but the blonde only shook her head.

"I should be the one to go. I'll bring back the medicine Chris needs." She stated, more confident than anyone had ever seen the quiet shy girl act. Nat looked more nervous than anyone there though, his perfectly styled hair moving out of place as he sweated buckets "But, Anna..!". Zack looked at the girl before nodding in agreement.