Chapter 14

Tony's POV

"Sir, I've turned off the Acr Reactor. The device is already self-sustaining." Jarvis informed me. I took note of it and faced the doctor.

"Shut it down, Dr. Selvig," I told him as I arrived.

"It's too late! It can't stop now. He wants to show us something, a new universe." I ignored him.

"Okay." I blasted it, but it blasted me right back. It was protected. However, at least the doctor was knocked out. He wouldn't be any more trouble.

"The barrier is pure energy. It's unreachable."

"Yeah, I got that." I saw Loki. I felt my anger rise. I have a few questions for you, pal. I headed down. "Plan B."

"Sir, the Mark Seven is not ready for deployment."

"Then skip the spinning rims, we're on the clock." I landed and Loki began to walk in as my gear came off. I felt my blood boiling inside of me. Whatever happened to my daughter, you're gonna pay for it full force.

"Please tell me you're going to appeal to my humanity."

"Uh, actually, I'm planning to threaten you," I told him.

"You should have left your armor on for that."

"Yeah." I headed down the stairs to my bar. I needed to get my calibration bracelet before I could get my other suit ready. "It's seen a bit of mileage, and you've got the, uh, glowstick of destiny." Just need to stall him for now. Once I got my suit ready, I'm good. "Would you like a drink?" I asked.

"Stalling me won't change anything."

"No, no, no, threatening," I corrected. "No drink? You sure?" I asked. "I'm having one." He looked angry as he looked out the window and I poured myself a drink.

"The Chitauri are coming. Nothing will change that," He threatened. "What have I to fear?"

"The Avengers," I answered simply. He looked confused. "It's what we call ourselves. We're sort of like a team. 'Earth's mightiest heroes' type thing."

"Yes. I've met them."

"Yeah," I chuckled along. "Takes us a while to get any traction, I'll give ya that one. But let's do a headcount, here. Your brother, the demigod," He looked a little upset at that one. "a super soldier, a living legend who kind of lives up to the legend, a man with breathtaking anger-management issues, a couple of master assassins, a girl that's stronger than even you think you know, and you, big fella...you've managed to piss off every single one of them."

"That was the plan."

"Not a great plan," I told him. "When they come, and they will, they'll come for you."

"I have an army."

"We have a Hulk."

"Oh, I thought the beast had wandered off."

"You're missing the point. There is no throne. There is no version of this where you come out on top. Maybe your army comes and maybe it's too much for us, but it's all on you. Because if we can't protect the Earth, you can be damn well sure we'll avenge it," I said, standing my ground. "And I'm here, personally, to avenge and take back one more thing." He looked at me, smiling a bit.

"Let. Me. Guess~"

"Where the hell is she?"

"Oh, I'm sure you'll see, but first," He came closer. "How will your friends have time for me," Shit. "when they are so busy fighting you?" He tapped me, but nothing happened. I was stunned, but the relief was huge. I quickly pushed past it though as he tried again, clearly confused. "This usually works."

"Well, performance issues, it's not uncommon. One out of five-" He grabbed me and tossed me aside.

"Jarvis, any time now," I said, getting to my feet, but Loki grabbed me again.

"You will all fall before me!" He lifted me up,

"Deploy!" and threw me out the window. "DEPLOY!" I fell through the air, but my new suit caught me and I blasted right back to the top. "And there's one other person you pissed off," I growled. "His name was Phil." Suddenly, I saw the portal open. "...Right...army."

Then, I was blasted by something. I quickly regained my stability and got ready for a fight. I was stunned when I saw who it was. "No..." She roared at me, her eyes blazing with anger, but I could tell that it wasn't her. I looked back at Loki.

"Oh, if it wasn't for your brother, I would have you staining the floors!!" I yelled.

"Remind me whose side he's on again!" He laughed. I blasted him, but I got attacked again. I saw that her gear was up and running.

"Jarvis! Override her suit! I need to knock some sense back into her!"

"Already on it, Sir. I was concerned when she didn't respond, but I wasn't certain about her current state. I'm sorry for not warning you sooner."

"No use in dwelling on it now, let's just get her back to normal!" I saw her suit fail and she looked stunned. I took aim. "Sorry about this, Izz." I blasted her and she began to fall. I dove after her, catching her and bringing her back up to the tower. I set her down. I shook her a bit as my mask came up. "Izz. Izz you gotta wake up. We need you out here. Come on!" Suddenly, her tail smacked me. She got up and snarled at me. "That's a cheap move!"

"And yet you fall for it every time, old man!"

"Izetta, listen to me! This is not you, and I don't want to hurt you! I know I didn't tell you, but I've always cared! It's why I said nothing! I wanted you to feel like you belonged here! I wanted...I wanted you to stay with me."

"I don't believe you." She kept attacking me as I held her off. Her claws tried to tear the reactor out of my suit, but I blasted her back. I couldn't let her wreck this suit. I wouldn't have any options if she destroyed it. I had to keep my distance. "All you cared about was making me into another form of experiment! You wanted to see my power, but you never cared about me! Why else would you want me to stay with you!?"

"Because I believed in you!" She stopped, her eyes wavering. "I still do!" She looked away. "No matter what anyone else says, you're still the first one I go to when I need help."

"That's a lie."

"Okay, aside from Pepper! Come on, you can't throw that at me!" She frowned. "Listen, I still know that you have a good heart. You wouldn't do this. You don't want to hurt people." Her eyes met mine. "And you care so much that I know, even with whatever magic tricks anyone could pull on you..." I walked forward and cupped her cheek. "you could never hurt me." I saw her crystal glow brighter as her eyes softened. "I don't know who you were before meeting me, but I know that this is never going to be who you are. You've always, always been better than this." She suddenly pulled back, grunting. I saw her eyes shut tight and her crystal kept glowing brighter. "Izz?"

"Gah!"

"Oh no."

"Aah!" I took off and she screamed and let out a powerful blast that shattered most of the windows nearby.

"I'm gonna have to do a lot of repairs." I saw her collapse and I quickly went to help her. "Izz!" She groaned and opened her eyes.

"T...Tony?" I smiled.

"There's my little Tailwind." She smiled back, but then she frowned.

"Tony...I...I tried to-"

"Hey, I know. It's okay. You...you had every right to do that. I should've been better." She looked stunned. "But don't scare me like that again. I'm gonna start tightening your curfew, young lady! No suit farther than one hundred miles out from where I'm at, okay?" She smiled warmly at me. I helped her up. "Now," I put my mask back down. "let's go kick some alien ass, huh?" She smiled.

"Let's go kick some alien ass!!"