Chapter 81

Thor's POV

"Thor," Heimdall called me toward the window as we all looked out as Asgard fell. I felt my heart sink, but at least our people were safe. Still, that didn't help the despair in my heart and the guilt that I felt for the destruction of our homeworld.

"The damage is not too bad. As long as the foundations are strong, we can rebuild this place. It will become a haven for all people and aliens of the universe-" I would say I was grateful for Korg's optimism, but our home completely destroyed itself as the realm was left to nothing. "Now those foundations are gone. Sorry."

"...What have I done?" I muttered. Heimdall stood beside me.

"You saved us from extinction. Asgard is not a place, it's a people." 

After that, I went to clean myself up. However, I noticed Izetta was nowhere to be found. Heimdall told me to leave her be. He said she was in a different room and her grieving process needed to be undisturbed for the time being. 

I stood in front of the mirror, finishing up cleaning my eye. Izetta had healed it internally, but it was still sore and needed a patch for a while. Still, it was reassuring that I hadn't completely lost my sight. I poured a glass for myself, looking over it again. Then, I saw someone walk into view of the mirror, standing behind me. I turned as I faced my brother.

"It suits you." He held an easy smile, but I knew that he wasn't actually there.

"Maybe you're not so bad after all, Brother." 

"Maybe not." 

"Thank you," I told him, tossing the cap in my hand for a moment. "If you were here, I might even give you a hug." I tossed it at him, but he caught it. I paused, stunned for a moment. He smiled.

"I'm here." I smiled back at him.

"I have to admit, you did just surprise me."

"That was the plan." We walked forward and actually did give each other a hug. I patted him on the back, but I then nodded to the door. 

"Now go let someone else know you decided to stick around." He frowned a little.

"...Do you really think she wants to see me? I mean...her family is gone, she's grieving, her room is probably torn to pieces by now, and...I don't think I would be an exception to that." 

"I think you'd be surprised, Brother."

Izetta's POV

I was laying on the bed as I stayed there, alone. I didn't want to see anyone, but I didn't have it in me to be angry. The numbness had returned. I felt as empty as you could get. I had lost family twice already, I didn't think they would come back for a third, but they did. Speaking of coming back, there was someone else I hadn't expected to show up again either.

"I don't know whether or not to be relieved you haven't destroyed this place or worried." I stiffened for a moment before closing my eyes and sighing heavily.

"I still wouldn't say it's safe for you to be in here." 

"I know, but...I thought it was worth the risk." I chuckled dejectedly. 

"And how would it be worth a risk, huh?" I asked, sitting up as I faced him. "If you're expecting a heroic welcome from me, you missed the mark on what I told you earlier."

"I'm not." I leaned back a bit.

"...Then what?"

"Just seeing that you're okay is worth the risk of getting thrown out that window into space." He said, glancing over. "Of course, being sucked into the cosmos isn't something I'm unfamiliar with at this point." My lip curled up ever so slightly. I shook my head a little, looking at my lap.