Chapter 72

Izetta's POV

No matter how uncontrollably enraged I was to see Loki again, Thor was still my friend, so when he'd asked me so sincerely to come with him, I couldn't tell him no. Now, here we were in Norway. I followed the brothers as they went over to their father. I hadn't seen the true Odin in a long time. With Loki's spell over him, I wondered if he'd even remember me.

"...Father?" Thor sounded a little unsure. Odin was looking out at the water.

"Look at this place. It's beautiful."

"Father, it's us," Thor told him. Something was off, but I couldn't sense any magic being cast over him.

"My sons. I've been waiting for you." He turned. "And Young Izetta. Not so young anymore. My, you've grown, haven't you? Or is it that you've merely changed? Your eyes don't look as bright as I remember. It's a shame. I hoped you would never lose your liveliness." I didn't know what to say. I simply looked away, unable to find the words to answer him.

"We've come to take you home," Thor spoke again, but Odin still faced the water.

"Home, yes..." I looked out at the waves, remembering my own old home for a moment. I missed the days when I could just sit on the roof and listen to the waves. Out of all the things that could've happened, why did it have to be this? I was brought out of my thoughts as Odin continued. "Your mother, she calls me. Do you hear it?" 

"Loki, lift your magic," Thor said, but Loki shook his head and that's when I knew something was wrong. Odin laughed a bit.

"Took me quite a while to break free from your spell. Frigga would've been proud." I scoffed mentally. Proud that he's still using everyone around him? Yeah, how lovely. "Your bitterness is not uncalled for, Izetta, but it spurs from a feeling you have forgotten." I was a little freaked out by that. I shifted away slightly, uncomfortable now. He suddenly turned.

"Come and sit with me. All of you. I don't have much time." That's ominous. We joined him and I sat on the grass beside Thor as the boys and Odin took their seats on the stone.

"I know that we failed you, but we can make this right," Thor told him.

"I failed you," Odin replied. "It is upon us...Ragnarok." I paused.

"Wait, isn't that the-"

"Prophesized end of Asgard," Odin interrupted me. "I'm glad you remember well, Izetta. If only you wished to remember more clearly." What does that even mean? He didn't seem to want to elaborate on any of this as he just kept going. 

"No, I've stopped Ragnarok. I've put an end to Surtur" Thor explained.

"No. It has already begun. She is coming."

"Izetta?" Thor asked.

"No," Odin answered. "My life was all that held her back, but my time has come. I cannot keep her away any longer." I paused. This felt a lot heavier than I expected. What does he mean by that? He can't be dying! Odin can't die! ...Can he?

"Father, who are you talking about?"

"Goddess of Death," He stated simply. "Hela...my firstborn...your sister." I was about as shocked as Thor. His breath got heavy fast. 

"...Your what?" Loki didn't seem much better as Thor looked at him. It was clear neither of them knew of this girl.

"Her violent appetites grew beyond my control. I couldn't stop her, so I imprisoned her. Locked her away. She draws her strength from Asgard, and once she gets there her powers will be...limitless." I would've tried for sarcasm had this not been as serious as it was and swearing in front of Odin was still something I didn't feel comfortable doing. Thor, however, was in denial.