Chapter 28

Thor's POV

I heard my brother call for Izetta. I looked and saw her stand. Her eyes were not her own. Her body was not her own. She had fallen to the Aether. She didn't face us, simply walking with Malekith, mindless.

"Izetta!" I yelled. "Fight it!!" She did not move, only continuing on with him. I kept fighting his monster, but it was proving difficult. He deflected Mjolnir and I didn't have time to defend myself. I took blow after blow, unable to fight back.

Then I saw the creature get impaled by something. I saw Loki there, using his wit to help as always. Yes! Way to go, brother! My joy was short-lived. It turned and stabbed Loki with the other end.

"NO!!" He was tossed away, but I heard a beeping. Loki, as my brother always did, got in the last word.

"See you in hell, monster." A bomb went off, sucking the creature inside and tearing it apart, finally killing him off. I rushed to my brother's side. My heart was racing.

"No...no, no, no!" I held him, having no way to help him without Izetta there. "Oh, you fool! You didn't listen!" I was less scolding him and more worried for him.

"I know." He managed to speak. "I'm a fool...I-I'm a fool."

"Stay with me, okay?"

"I-I'm sorry." I felt a pain in my chest, one I had felt before and couldn't bear to feel again. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry!"

"Shh..." I tried to hush him. "It's okay." He calmed down a bit. "It's alright." I did my best to reassure him. His body stopped shaking, but he was getting weaker by the second. "I'll tell Father what you did here today."

"...I didn't do it for him." His eyes closed and the pain increased in an instant.

"No!!" I held him, not wanting to let go. Jane came over to us. I looked up at her and she understood what happened. I didn't want to leave him there...but we had no other choice. Izetta had been taken...and my brother had redeemed his wrong-doings.

I helped Jane as we left, finding shelter in a cave. She sat down and I was left trying to think of what to do. There had to be something. I couldn't let Malekith get away with this and I had to rescue my friend. I wasn't going to accept defeat. If I couldn't save my brother or my mother, I wasn't going to lose again. I would not lose her.

"He's gonna unleash it." I turned to Jane as she spoke. "Not just on Asgard or...on a star. Malekith is gonna destroy everything. That's why he wanted Izetta. She can withstand the Aether's power because she's more than one thing. She's strong enough to harness it, but it has a will of its own. She can't control it unless her will is stronger, but then it would abandon her." 

"That's why he tried to steal her all those years ago. She's merely just another host." I pieced together. "She is the perfect weapon for him." Jane nodded.

"I saw him on Earth. Why would he go to Earth?" 

"The Convergence." 

"Oh, God... None of this would've happened if I hadn't found the Aether."

"Then Malekith would've only possessed it that much sooner," I told her.

"But Izetta...she wouldn't have-"

"The fault for Izetta's capture is my own. I should not have let her come, no matter how much she wanted the truth. She is strong, but...I realize that we could never have been prepared for anything that happened today." Jane frowned.

"Still...I only found it because I was looking for you."

"Jane..."

"Now we're trapped here." Suddenly, some strange music started playing. Both of us were confused. She looked at me. I shook my head.